87 Civic cooling system help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Remedy

My carburated 1500 (D15A2) civic EW1 (115k mi) is pushing out coolant. The story goes like this, the impellar fell off the water pump shaft and then it came to me. I replaced the water pump hoping that there was no damage. Got it all back together with new belts, hoses, etc and took it for a ride. Idles rough and takes a long time to warm up. Last time out I replaced the radiator cap with a new one, filled the system with water and left the overflow empty. I went for a 10 mile drive and then checked the overflow. It was nearly at the top with water even thought the engine temp barely reached 1/8 of the normal range. Left it sit for an hour but the water stayed in the overflow. Drained the system and the water is milky white, maybe a stop leak had been added or is this consistent with combustion gases entering the cooling system? The only cooing system components I haven't replaced are the radiator and the thermostat, but they are both gonna be done next.

I need some advice, I suspected the head gasket all along but sometimes I jump to conclusions and do stuff that doesn't need to be done.

Last edited:
more iinfo

Since I had no input yet I just kept on doing my thing trying to narrow down the trouble. I put in a new thermostat which is lovely and all but I mainly did it to make sure I have a good one in there with a good gasket. So warming up the engine to do the compression and leak down tests I left the radiator cap off. I did this mostly to make sure I had all the air out of the cooling system. Once the system was full I had a steady bubble of 1 per second at the fill neck. Looks like a head gasket for sure right?
So compression was 150, 150, 145, 160. The first 2 cylinders I forgot to hold the throttle open, but I was supprised how high they were anyway.
The leak down test showed minimal leakage around 20% and the most was going into the crackcase. I expected air bubbles in the radiator but didnt get any.

Any suggestions for what to do next?

Sounds like a headgasket issue to me, too. Change it out and let us know how the car behaves after that. :)

Changed out the head gasket, car runs cool and doesnt pressurize the cooling system. Now I have this idle sputtering to work out.
I can't get the engine to hold the timing, I set it like it says under the hood and it mostly lines up, but it jumps around alot.
I checked my EGR and cleaned it, also checked the float bowl vent and it holds vacuum.
Its probably a vacuum leak and I am just really not excited about spraying my hoses down with carb cleaner. Can anyone tell from what I have described if that is the case or more likely something else?

Thanks

Back