87 CRX DX _STILL_ not cooling properly

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Neutrino

I posted about this a while ago but don't drive much.
I've an 87 CRX DX that refuses to cool itself properly. I've replaced the head gasket, thermostat, thermoswitch, temp sending unit, water pump, radiator, hoses - in short the entire cooling system exept the guage in the dash. I've shorted the fan switch so the fan is always on. I've also richened the mix several times (now the adjusting screw will not turn farther). I've a little 400W amp in it, but that's it. After driving it for 20-30 min the temp guage reads about 3/4-7/8, even on the freeway. Odd thing is, sometimes it seems to cool itself just fine. That's the part that baffles me. (But usually it gets too hot.)
Any suggestions?

make sure the fan is blowing the right way if the fan is in the engine bay it should be sucking the air, if its in the bumper area it should be pushing the air

edit: nm.

weird. they are such quirky cars :)

yeah get another cluster OR go get an autozone mechanical temp gauge and install it and see if it actually gets hot, if its not actually hot then put a new cluster in... OR skip that step and just get a new cluster for 15 bucks

Where can I acquire a new cluster for $15? I've seen the temp guage alone for around $40, but that's it.

a cluster for a 87 is not exactly a hot item, you can find it on ebay or a junker for super cheap

Back