87 CRX - Extremely Loose Clutch. Hard to accuratly shift. Ideas?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dimitriy

Hi,

Bought my first CRX yesterday. 1987 Honda CRX (DX?) not sure anyways (on whether its a DX)....

My shifter is extremely hard to shift with. In order to get into gear I have to shift up then down to find out where is neutral.

When I am in a gear, say 2nd, I can move the shifter left and right to each side. I often hit 3rd when i try to go to 1st and hit 4th alot when going to 2nd.

I am a new stick driver but I used to work in a body shop and we had a few cars and I never had trouble shifting in those.

Some of the problem is probably the fact this is my first car and yesterday was my first time driving by myself on stick. But I am sure that the shift has some problems.

Ideas??

not really....
i don;t have any

its 2 rods, one is a simple sort of brace, the other is your actualy shifter mechanism rod... thats the one that will have the play...
the play is probably on the rod that will be right above your exhaust and a complete pain in the ass to get to or see...

here's a diagram of it though...

13sb20_b35.gif

i bet your clutch cable bracket under the dash is broken!

sounds like somebody either didn't install the correct "bitch pin" (#26)or the bushings (#5) are stiff or screwed up somehow. or the shifter mounting bolts loosened up.(#25)..that much slop is not good.

just a little note. I can drive it and it drives. Its just the moving from gear A to B that I have problems.

BTW, When I was working in the body shop I drove a integra 96 or so. The shift on that was FABULOUS! Smooth and can just tap it into gear.

Another little question for you:

My car sometimes idles to a die. This was not happening yesterday. Apparently the guy took corner as usual and then it happened....

uhm... is it low on gas?
assuming your clutch cable is properly adjusted and your bushings are good the car should shift quite similar to the integra...

the only diffrence would be age and cable clutch vs hydro clutch in the teg

Back