87 CRX injected head swap into 87 CRX carbed

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DBar

Hi im new to the homda world and i have some questions. I have picked up a 87 CRX carbed and i also got a 87 CRX that is injected. what i want to do is swap the injected head onto my 87 crxs carbed block and make my carbed crx injected. Both the CRX i have are running. but my carbed crx is in much better condition and is also insurable. what am i going to need to do to make this swap happen? im not shy when it comes to wrench time as i have a few cars and have a fair bit of knowlage. My main issue is i havent done honda work and i mostly deal with rear wheel drive Nissan/Datsun. so can i just pull the head and injected bits off the one crx and install them onto my non injected block and chassy? what will need to be done for wireing and what fule modifications will need to be done. any info or sugestions on this would be muchly appreciated. thaks for you time and i look forward to the honda worlds reply.

you will have to swap over the gas tank and fuel pump out of the injected crx along with the head. you will also have to wire up the fuel pump change over ecus. Also you will have to run a return fuel line from the engine back to the tank as well. It is a swap that can be done but there is alot of changes that have to be made

so if i take all the parts from the si car and swap them to the carb it will work. i was wondering if the heads are the same in the injected and the carb. is it just the manifolds and management that are different? also if anyone knows of a tutorial of this i would appreciate it very much thanks.

as it stand right now i want to pull all the fule components off the injected and swap manifolds and just use my carb head and block .

The heads are the same, the HF head is different. As far as fuel pressure, an inline add-on from Summit will do the trick.

I have a head for sale if you're interested.

what kind of injected crx si or dx because dx is the same sized head if you got an injector that looks like this
dpfi_top.jpg

its dx, a 1.5l head same as carbed

Your biggest job is the wiring, its not just a matter of swapping ecus you are going to have to change the whole loom because alot of wires will be missing from the carbed engine along with sensors, dont mess around with the DX dual point setup you should stick with the full EFI, all the 12 valve heads are the same and all the 16valve heads are the same but dont try and mix a 16valve head and a 12 valve block or vise versa. The best swap is a twincam ZC 89 on along with its loom and sensors and fit a chipped OBDO ecu, in Australia we got the 1st gen CRX with
the twin cam ZC/D16a1 integra motor. With a few wiring changes you can fit a chippable OBDO ecu and tune away.

This is easy, and a old thread but here we go.

Swap your engine harness, and cabin harness from the SI into the DX. Then mount your SI fuel pump into the DX in its stock location. Youll need to run the fuel lines from the Si in the DX. Then its just as easy as pluggin everything up where it belongs and dropping the engine back in. Sounds like more work than it is, but its not.

I'd like to do this to a 84 1300 civic hatch. I've got ALL the other si parts too.
OH, don't forget to just swap the whole si dash. it mounts the same.
the hot ticket back when was to use the EW1-2 block and a ported/cammed si head, run dual carbs so you wouldn't have to mess with the f/i, use si trans and cluster too. But it usually would ruin the emissions.
If you are going to rebuild.. Use the 1g teg pistons on the ew4 rods (88-89 teg pop ups if you want high comp) and the si head, teg 5th gear.. yadda yadda.
Mine got around 30mpg and ran great! MAN that brings back memories.
Sorry for rambling. E

OOOpps, Been a while. Sorry, I forgot to mention that..
At least it's slightly cheaper using older pistons. Just lightly beadblast them (covering the ring lands) and coat the skirts.
E

Back