87 crx keeps on cutting out

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ls/vtechatch91

i have a 87 crx that needed all new valves cuz of the timing belt broke so i just replaced all of them..... i took it all apart had the new valves put in and put it back together.... i timed it and everything and when it starts up it runs for like 5 seconds then dies??????? am i missing a vaccum hose or do i need to time it again???? its the d15a2 carburated so yeah can anybody help me out???

remember this...(not a whole lot more i can say), you need 4 things for an engine to run.

compression, spark, fuel and air.

First check and make sure your firing order is right. Its supposed to be 1-3-4-2 (for more information on this, check any service manual/chiltons manual).

After that check for spark, remove the spark plug you are checking and put a holder spark plug in that cylinder. plug the plug wire into the spark plug and touch it two one of the two metal coin looking things on your valve cover (probably good to turn off the lights at this point) and have your friend try and start the car. Verify that the plug sparks, and move on to the next one.

A compression test is the next test for why your car isnt running. Pretty self explanatory (i think we have a quick write up if you search for it). Make sure that the compression is over 165. If not, it might be time to check the cam orientation or piston rings.

finally fuel/air. this one is a bitch. basically your trying to track down vacuum leaks or testing if the carb still works.

I just fixed a similar problem on an 87 crx (vacuum leak was the issue) so this is gonna take some patience and time.

Good luck.

okay thanks but everything was okay before that no smoke or anything..... it only have 133k but i know that doesnt mean anything...... it has spark and everything i just dies i have drove it around but when it its low rpm's it dies.......

id adjust your idle screw and then start looking for vacuum leaks if it persists.

yes i do, but its hard to describe. let me see if i can find a pic.

Back