1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

87 CRX Si

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> ED-EF / DA' started by integrawow, Feb 3, 2006.

1. integrawow

integrawow Member

I really want to hear some opinions first, mainly because I am leaning towards buying an 87 CRX Si. I would love it if it were an 88+ model, but this one is a dam 87. I was at least considering a ZC swap, but would love to do a B18A (LS; duh!). The car does however have MPFI, but I found out that I would have to do a crap load of wiring conversion to get anything like a ZC or an LS motor in it. Yes, I do know that I would have to get conversion mounts for a b-series swap (I'm not a neewbie!). You would think that since the car comes with MPFI, that you could just leave it alone and just use it to control the b-series or the ZC, instead of trying to rewire the cars' wiring harness so that an OBD0 PR4 ecu can be used. It just pisses me off that I finally find a CRX chassis and it has to be a dam 87 and not an 88+ model. Why is it that the 88-91 CRX MPFI equipped cars can control a b-series and that for some reason an 87 CRX MPFI cannot unless you do a heck of a lot of wiring?

What the hell is the deal? Because I can get this car for literally dirt cheap. I planned on making it a street/strip car, and I was soo pissed when I found that it was a dam 87 model. I am not trying to hate on pre-88 model cars, but it just looks like my plans for having a CRX with either a halfway decent ZC or better yet, a kick ass b-series motor on the spray, have all sort of gone down the drain.

What should I do? WTF?

2. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

uhm...

look for a newer chassis....

3. jlicrx

jlicrx Senior Member

the JDM "browntop" DOHC ZC (133hp) swap into the 87 Si requires only a minor wiring change at the distributor - simply moving 2 wires from the distributor connector to the CYL sensor on the exhaust cam on the ZC - bolts right into your chassis - you need to use 86-89 Integra transmission, intermediate shaft, axles, knuckles/hubs and shift linkage, all of which bolt right in - you would need the 86-87 (not 88-89) Integra PG7 ECU - actually, not much different than swapping a JDM "blacktop" DOHC ZC into a 88 CRX HF

4. integrawow

integrawow Member

What would be wrong with using the cars existing 5 speed tranny? It is a d-series equipped car.

5. jlicrx

jlicrx Senior Member

the 1g CRX/3g Civic transmission will not bolt to any other engines - won't even come close - the JDM "browntop" ZC and 86-89 Integra D16A1s are also D-series and their transmissions won't bolt correctly to any other D-series either

6. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

first gen crx was not d series
    its an EW4 if you have the SI

86-87 and 88-89 integra trannies are said to be diffrent and not compatable

i used a 87 integra brown top d16a1 with a 87 integra 5 speed and 87 integra ecu/distributor...

upgrade to a better chassis

you realize the first gen crx's have torsion bars right?
    and virtually NO aftermarket support...

7. jlicrx

jlicrx Senior Member

87 Si was labeled D15A3 (at least in the Civic, it was)

8. Airjockie

Airjockie Watanabe Whore!!!

Go stop by www.redpepperracing.com .... all the info in the world is on there for all the 84-87 Civic and CRX's...and plenty of aftermarket support can be found.

And yes...D15A3 for the 87 si...they just called the carbed D15's EW's for a while..but the blocks are the same..

9. integrawow

integrawow Member

I have decided not to buy the car. I would love to have a either a:
    -88-91 civic hatch
    -88-91 CRX
    -92-95 civic hatch (preferably DX, but any would be great)
    -92-95 civic DX 2-door coupe

A good clean body is very critical to me, and I am not really particular about the paint quality.

I would like to have a 5-speed. Duh!

I am located in Louisiana, and I just cannot seem to find any of the above cars. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR WHAT SEEMS LIKE FOREVER, but still no luck at all. DAMMIT!

Finding one without a motor would be okay.
    Finding one with a blowed up motor would be okay.
    Finding one with a b-series swap already would be okay.
    Finding one with a b-series swap with a blowed b-series engine would be okay.
    I REALLY DON'T GIVE A SHIT, I JUST WANT ONE OF THE CARS LISTED ABOVE SO I CAN HAUL ASS!

Thanks to all that replied! I'm sorry to sound like a "cry baby," but finding one of the cars listed above is just soooooooooo freakin difficult, or at least it is for me.

If anyone in Louisiana has a car like those listed above that they want to get rid of, PLEEEEAAAAASSSSEEEEE let me know about it.

10. ScottM

ScottM Junior Member

Could be worse. You could be trying to do a swap with an 86 CRX DX you already have and finding out that apparently there are no 86-89 integra 5 spds left on the planet. And that you're going to have to settle for replacing the engine with another carbed stock 76hp wonder.

Oh wait, that's me. :)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted