87 CRX sometimes stalls/ wont turn off

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DeeRex

I have an 1987 honda crx automatic. It stalled on me the other night. I kept trying to turn it on for a while. The ignition seems to be working fine, and it'll turn over, it just would die right after. I waited like 20 min then it turned on fine. When I got home however, I turned off the car but something kept running. I don't know if it was the fuel pump or something else. It didn't turn off completely until I stepped on the gas pedal. If someone has any idea what might be wrong with it any help is appreciated. thanks guys.

^^^ Yep, bad switch.
Pull the plasstic cover off the bottom of the steering, drill the two break away studs out that hold the switch to the column and then just unplug the rest.
The actual switch has two little screws holding it to the key tumbler.
Take those two out and take the plastic part to the local parts store or Stealership and order yourself one.
I've got a couple but can't say how good they are..

Is it a carb'd or SI?
Check the grounds near the thermostat. Clean all the little washer-ends nice and shiny, grease them and bolt it back up.

There should be about 3-or so black wires there.
Hey, and check the + cable from the battery. Where it's supposed to have a fuse.. That one really corrodes up easily and being that old, it's most likely been replaced.

Hope that helps. E

had the same EXACT issue in my da and dc integra... went to the junk yard, pulled a couple of ignition switches out... plugged them in my car when i got home... never had the problem again... worked...

Thanks a lot E. It's a carb system. I'll have to check the ignition switch. Do you think it might have something to do with my idle? It seems to be out of whack sometimes. At first turning it on its at 3000rpm and as it starts to warm up it gets lower. sometimes when it gets down to 1000rpm it'll just flatline.

Sorry for the delay..
Carb eh? Pull it and drop a weber on it..

Anywho, Use a can of carb/brake cleaner with the jet nozzle and shoot small bursts around that dang carb base. The Isolators would separate from heat/vibration and have you chasing your tail..
It should bogg a little/lot depending on the leak. Go to the local pull it and grab some 'good' vacuum line and start swapping. (good for bad)
Does yours have the little fuel sight windows on the side of the carb?
Are they way off?

I know you might not want to hear this but, AT least its running..
PM me your # and I'll try and call ya.
I'm off work for some time healing up, and might be able to help.

E

Back