87 CRX swap Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dancomer

What motor can i bolt into this car.....i need to know if i should keep it carbed or if i can make it fuel injected...i am not looking for serious performance...but i want a new motor and i know how to do motor swaps...but i need to know what will fit and if the factory mounts will work with a d series motor. And what would i have to do to make it fuel injected....let me know...email is Dancomer18@hotmail.com
or call me at 847-456-7553 my name is Dan

First gen rex/third gen civics have pretty unique to the gen. mounts. You can swap in the first ZC's (brown top), or maybe the EW3/4 from the Si but you would have to change to fuel injection.

if it is carbed already, then i have heard it is somewhat of a pain in the ass to change it over. by the time you get it done you could have easily just kept it carbbed and use some Webbers. i heard that they make manifolds for them, if not then change it over to FI, just remember you have to also change ti gas taknk and fuel pump and stuff cause it has to be pressurized, along with hooking it up to a computer. Basically you'd probably be looking at getting the stuff from a 2nd gen rex.

Originally posted by senate_9427@Dec 31 2003, 08:55 AM
Basically you'd probably be looking at getting the stuff from a 2nd gen rex.

No, he could just as easily (if not easier) find a 86-87 Si or HF, both are fuel injected, and will have all that is needed for the conversion.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Dec 31 2003, 07:50 AM
No, he could just as easily (if not easier) find a 86-87 Si or HF, both are fuel injected, and will have all that is needed for the conversion.

on 1st gen CRX, Si is only one with fuel injection - DX & HF are both carbed

yeah thats true. the only reason i said to look for the 2nd gen is because they are a lot more common, and you also see a lot of shells out there. also, newer is better, right? a 1st gen would be a direct fit though, so whatever ya want to do man.

what if i just kept the manifold...could it bolt onto a d series and would i be able to bolt in the engine...whether it runs or not is not the problem...i need to know if a lets say D16Z6 will bolt into a 87CRX with the mounts that are already in the CRX...i would keep the carbed manifold...and all the other parts...like the trans and the manifold....and if possible the distributor to make the car run....and can i take the wiring harness out of a 92HB and just run the motor off it and not have it run anything else like the speedo or whatever else goes to it. i will run the motor and the fuel from the computer and everything else will stay the same????can i do that?

Nope. No mounts are universal for the first gen CRX. HASport makes a lot of mounts necessary for B series into the first gens, but wiring is the big issue. You're going to make the entire car a newer car, usually OBD1.

The D16Z6 is by no means a drop-in. Outside of turboing (The D allows more room for a turbo) the D series is just as difficult as the B series.

To date, no one makes a shifter linkage for D16x swaps for the first gen or 3rd gen Civ.

If you're going to go through the trouble of doing a difficult swap, might as well go all-out and utilise a motor that will give you better than 30 hp improvements.

-> Steve

(I have an 87 CRX si, and the 91 Hatch. The 91 is getting the F22A6 turbo swap, and the CRX is getting the B(secret) swap, with turbo. I have to do special things with the radiator and front end. More to come)

what can i do to the carbed motor to make it faster...is there anything that will give me substantial gains instead of the usual I/H/E...i know turbo is a big adder but could i do turbo?

Back