87 maserati turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sernmd

i found a 87 maserati biturbo at the local u pull it .... it has twin ihi turbos so i was wondering if anyone knew the psi the internal wastegate is set at also if its a good idea to use this for my turbo project (d16z6) ...

Not a lot of info out there that I could find. The part# you are looking for as far as research goes is RHB51w. The W means water cooled center section.

My feeling is this, if you go back to the yard, & it's still there you should snag them both up. Around here, anything worth stripping from the u-pick is gone w/in a day or two.

grab them both?? it took me a good 6 hours to get the one loose:eek: and i still couldnt get it out b4 the yard closed but i havnt been there since so maybe il go check it out again this weekend hopefully itll be there but i doubt it .. they get new cars daily tho.. thanks for the part number il do some research

i pulled some for my local pnp....took me 1hr,just pulled the engine out for better acces to the turbo manis.
just look for a turbo probe man they also have ihi,nice fmic too!

yea i got the head off it was all alen keys... then the exaust was all roted to shit o and your not allowed to have a sawzall or torch or anything like that in this junkyard... they suck but any way i hand sawed threw the exaust.. then i got the header off but then the waste gate was hiting the block and the turbo was hiting the wheel well so im thinkin i have to get the waste gate off then try and yank it and id rather not drop the motor cuz the car is just so weirdly built (aka im lazy) but as for the other turbo i dont think its worth it il never use it but i looked thru the whole junkyard and all the other cars that are turbo are striped to shit... on a side note the outlet of the turbo is like an inch and a half wide wich kinda thru me off and all the charge pipes were small too and ideas on that??

Those turbos are for a 2.6L engine, so each turbo is for 1.3 liters of an engine that probably redlined a lot lower and flowed a lot less air than your Honda D. You'd probably be better off with a single larger turbo.

the car is just so weirdly built (aka im lazy) but as for the other turbo i dont think its worth it il never use it

Well...honestly, I've never f'ed around w/ a maserati, but I'd imagine that, yes, they'd be a little dif. than your avg. honda.
You don't think you'd use the other turbo? Twin turbo four banger sounds cool to me....

You'd probably be better off with a single larger turbo.

Sir Francis Bacon was right...knowledge ~is~ power....or at least it's worth 6hrs of sweat & blood in the junkyard.

If he could fit both of the turbos, he might be able to stay within the turbo's efficiency island, but with just one, he'll have spool at idle, but it will fall flat on it's face in the upper RPM's and his Intake Air Temps will be pretty high. I'm sure he could make it work, but it's probably not a very good choice for a turbo. Just my $.02

so u think just one small one would be not that great an idea??? and i dont like the spooling at idle idea cuz i would imagine that would eventialy mess up the BOV and other stuff if its building presure constantly or the waste gate if it keeps dumping it .... and the twin turbo idea would be awesome but to much fabrication and tuning (aka im poor and cant afford all that)... o and what are your guys thoughts on an automatic with a turbo? im in the air about it (have to do a trans swap but i cant find an SI trans close to here)

so u think just one small one would be not that great an idea??? and i dont like the spooling at idle idea cuz i would imagine that would eventialy mess up the BOV and other stuff if its building presure constantly or the waste gate if it keeps dumping it .... and the twin turbo idea would be awesome but to much fabrication and tuning (aka im poor and cant afford all that)... o and what are your guys thoughts on an automatic with a turbo? im in the air about it (have to do a trans swap but i cant find an SI trans close to here)

Too small to run a single, too much work to run a double. Look for a bigger turbo.
There's lots of Auto turbos running around.

sounds like a plan... i still wuna go manual tho know any sites i can pick one up cheap ( tried craigslist and ebay)

o and the junk yards around here all hondas are striped the second they arive ( fuckin ricers)

Back