88-91 civic K20A3, D16Y5, D17A6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hoodrider

Well i'm thinking about getting a civc and swapping one of three motors above into it.
Minus the engine cost what would it cost to swap in these motors? I'm not looking for performance only the basic things needed to keep the car running in good order.

I'm assuming that the D16 would the easiest to swap and the K20 the hardest.

Thanks for any help,

Curtis

the Kseries swap should only be done by professionals this will drain your pocket quickly. the easiest and simplest swap is the ZC DOHC however aftermarket does not support this motor with many upgrades or replacement parts and since you are not into it for the performance all that is needed is the motor. motors can be found from 499- 1000. this is a swap that can be completed with limited skills just make sure when you get the civic it is multi port injected or there will be extra cost to convert the DPI. there are many books on honda swaps get one it saved many hours, headaches, and busted knuckles. the Dseries motors you mentioned will require wiring and changing the obd system. many will tell you its easy but beware. b-series swap are the best bang for the buck and run about 3000 to 3500 depending on the quality of parts and if you skimp you will see the result. good luck

Thanks for the replies. The reason i'm doing this is because i want a good fuel mileage long lasting. i want to get some engine that will pretty much pass emissions for years to come and i know the newer i go the better. I'm not looking for performance at all. I'm sure i could do the K20 myself, but i'm just curious of the cost to do a basic K20a3 swap. I've estimates to 11k, but those are including the K20a motor and such.

Thanks again,

Curtis

oh BTW if i had an automatic car, but got a new motor with a 5 speed how difficult would it be to install? would it require some new plastic molding? cuts in the body?

Thanks,
Curtis

Bring $400 cash. Look the car over and point out as many flaws as you possibly can (You could probably go on and on) wait til he starts to get frustrated with your nit-picking and then tell him you'll only pay 400, but you'll take it off his hands right then and there. If he tries to haggle, inform him that you only have 400 and cannot possibly pay anymore. If he's not willing to let it go, walk away.

i email and told him $400 then he said he already had people comeing to look this weekend for $500. I told him i would come friday to look at it. i geuss i'll bring $400 and see what i can do

ok im back with more noob questions. I think i'm just gonna get a hatch and keep it simple for now. if i can't find a running on and get a shell i'll drop a d-series in. Is there a list somewhere that shows which engines pretty much drop right in or with only a few hundred more in extras parts to fit in? I appreciate you all dealing with my questions.

Back