88-91 civic si Air Intakes really do fit on dx's!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

there is still hope for 88-91 civic/crx dx engines! all this time i thought the 88-91 civic si intakes were too short because of the si's longer manifold but no...here is proof that it will indeed fit an 88-91 dx engine. there was no cutting or modification of any kind needed.

(edit - pic of an SI air intake on a DX engine)
s3fd2f2537ef56.jpg

image and info courtesy of this H-T thread:
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=693782

Gabe- want a CRX Si intake? I'll sell you mine- all you have to do is clean out all the gunk and add another cone filter on top.

doh! blanco, thats an SI spec'd intake on a DX engine.

mike - thanks but im actually happy with mine. even though it looks ghey with the OEM plastic tubing, that plastic prevents heat soak.

Ah, I really don't think heat soak is that big of an issue. There's so much dirt caked up on the outside of mine that I doubt you'll have a problem anyway.

:lol:

Just get a can of thermal resistant paint stuff and spray the outside- you'll be good to go with that.

Gabe, I wish you asked me this earlier. I did this on my 91 dx sedan like 5 years ago. ZIt fits no problem. The only thing is it gets very close to the battery terminals.

Originally posted by Calesta@Dec 4 2003, 06:21 PM
Ah, I really don't think heat soak is that big of an issue. There's so much dirt caked up on the outside of mine that I doubt you'll have a problem anyway.

Just get a can of thermal resistant paint stuff and spray the outside- you'll be good to go with that.

lol :lol: is it an AEM? the main reason i would buy another is so i can be CARB legal...and so i can have that pimp bright metal intake look. :D

Gabe, I wish you asked me this earlier. I did this on my 91 dx sedan like 5 years ago. ZIt fits no problem. The only thing is it gets very close to the battery terminals.

:doh: yea i should've asked you...my bad.

Originally posted by crxtunerfan@Dec 7 2003, 04:35 AM
lol :lol: is it an AEM? the main reason i would buy another is so i can be CARB legal...and so i can have that pimp bright metal intake look. :D

I don't think that it is... you can go look at the pictures on my page to see the intake on the car. You could always just slap an AEM sticker on it and tell the ref that it's an AEM unit so it has to be CARB exempt...

ok im gonna look at the pics. i actually might be interested. i just remembered too that it doesnt matter if its the AEM cause its only legal on the si engine <_<

Ah, there you go. :) Let me know- I'll let you have it cheap, and I'll take more pics of it up close and off the car if you want.

Originally posted by Blanco+Dec 8 2003, 04:12 AM-->
crxtunerfan
@Dec 4 2003, 02:01 PM
doh! blanco, thats an SI spec'd intake on a DX engine.

mike - thanks but im actually happy with mine. even though it looks ghey with the OEM plastic tubing, that plastic prevents heat soak.

:doh: For some reason I was thinking intake mani. :lol:

yea thats what i thot u was thinkin. i shoulda said "air intake". went back and edited it. :thumbsup:

Back