88-91 civic tranny

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Civic_88ls

My friend has a 91 civic si and his tranny is gone and he picked up a tranny the other day and he doesnt know anything about honda motors or trannys and when i got there to help him put it in, i noticed that it was one from a dx that he got and the retard motor place said it was from a si. The writing on it was d15. so we took it back and they gave us another one and the writing on this one is zc. I was wondering, on the serial number on his original one starts with a SL3 and the dx one that we got and took back started with a L3 and the one that he gave us as a replacement and is suppost to be a zc says L3 also and was wondering if that makes a difference or not because the guy said it was just L3 is japan coding and SL3 is us coding. im confuzed.

I want to make sure we got the right one. either one will bolt up fine., i know that but i dont want ghetto dx ratios. :huh:

Originally posted by thegreat1310@Jan 15 2004, 11:24 PM
if you got a zc trans you will need 90 integra axles and a 20 spline clutch disc

the clutch he has works just fine and i know we need 86-9 integra axles and NOT 90. i know all that. all i wanted to know was about the serial number coding. thanks neway.

Originally posted by Civic_88ls+Jan 16 2004, 10:41 PM-->
thegreat1310
@Jan 15 2004, 11:24 PM
if you got a zc trans you will need 90 integra axles and a 20 spline clutch disc

the clutch he has works just fine and i know we need 86-9 integra axles and NOT 90. i know all that. all i wanted to know was about the serial number coding. thanks neway.

86-89 integra axles will not work with the ZC transmission in a 91 Civic Si - they are about an inch too short and will pop out of the transmission - with the ZC transmission, you must use the ZC intermediate shaft (no other one will fit) and the 90-93 integra axles -

Originally posted by jlicrx+Jan 17 2004, 05:45 PM-->
Originally posted by Civic_88ls@Jan 16 2004, 10:41 PM
thegreat1310
@Jan 15 2004, 11:24 PM

86-89 integra axles will not work with the ZC transmission in a 91 Civic Si - they are about an inch too short and will pop out of the transmission - with the ZC transmission, you must use the ZC intermediate shaft (no other one will fit) and the 90-93 integra axles -

oh my bad.. thnx

there is really no way to tell if it is a zc or si tranny externally without figuring out gear ratios and spline count. the L3 code applies to MANY honda transmissions, including the dx, si, and zc transmissions.

Originally posted by Sobe_Death@Jan 20 2004, 01:32 PM
there is really no way to tell if it is a zc or si tranny externally without figuring out gear ratios and spline count. the L3 code applies to MANY honda transmissions, including the dx, si, and zc transmissions.

the ZC transmission uses the larger axles like the integra - the splines where the axles go into the transmission are larger diameter - put a 88-91 Civic/CRX axle into the transmission - if the axle is too small, the transmission is a ZC

Originally posted by jlicrx+Jan 20 2004, 10:15 PM-->
Sobe_Death
@Jan 20 2004, 01:32 PM
there is really no way to tell if it is a zc or si tranny externally without figuring out gear ratios and spline count.  the L3 code applies to MANY honda transmissions, including the dx, si, and zc transmissions.

the ZC transmission uses the larger axles like the integra - the splines where the axles go into the transmission are larger diameter - put a 88-91 Civic/CRX axle into the transmission - if the axle is too small, the transmission is a ZC

Yeah, thanx. the tranny is a zc cuz his axles are to small. We are having a axle shop put a integra end of the axle on the tranny end so it will fit in there. were figuring this will prolly be the easiest way.

Back