88-91 crx with (92-95 civic vtec swap) help help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

viperguy

Hello everybody, I have a question that I would like to ask and see if I can get some answer here. I'm planning on doing a (92-95 civic vx vtec-e d15z1 swap) into a crx. As I understand this will be going from 0bd0 to obd1. I will use the complete vx engine (including engine harness and ecu). I've been doing some research and from my understanding I will have to use a obd0 to obd1 conversion harness plug on the ecu part. What confuse me is this: you know in the engine bay shock tower where the fuse box is. That is where the ecu harness come from the inside (from ecu) to the outside (in the engine bay next to the shock tower and fuse box). There you can plug and unplug the engine wire harness. My question is how do you guys get the crx or civic (male plug) to fit on the (92-95 civic vtec engine harness female plug)? As I can see they are two different connector plugs so I would assume that they will not fit. Also on the other end of the engine wire harness, will I have to plug anything there? For the 88-91 crx or civic, that's where the engine harness plug into the fuel injection resistor box and another wire that goes into the fire wall ( I would assume it's going into the fuse box).

Is USDM and JDM (civic vx d15z1) the same(same plug sensors). Will I pass California smog with a jdm engine?

you can't use the engine harness that is on the D15Z1 - you need to use the harness that came on the engine in your car and make the necessary wiring changes to it - if your CRX is a DX model, you will need to convert the wiring from DPFI to MPFI and make the other changes to it for VTEC, 5-wire O2 sensor, etc. in addition to getting the OBD0 to OBD1 ECU jumper harness - the sensors on the JDM engine are in the same location as on the USDM engine

OK, I see... Can I yank the civic vx potion of the harness that connect from the ecu to the engine bay shock tower into my crx and use the d15z1 harness? Is there a way I can use the d15z1 harness at all? I mean everything will convert to obd1. So what you are saying is that I have to use a crx or civic si or ex wire harness and just add vtec wiring and all the other necessary wiring.

Last edited:
OMG another one, which model level CRX do you have?

Si, you will use your stock wiring harness, no changes. DX/Std, you will convert to MPFI, still using your stock harness.

Go to Boomslang.com or Rywire an they will have the conversion harness you need. You WILL NOT USE THE VX HARNESS

Why are you swapping a Vx motor anyway? I think its the same gas milage as a DX or Si, NO power gain. the Vtec on the VX more increases economy, not horsepower. if you think the VX is gonna make your EF faster, your in for a dissapointment. D16Z6 from a 92-95 EX is what you want. I dont think Rywire even makes the 5 wire O2 jumper harness. All the rest are 4 wire, Vx is the oddball. Along with CX that has the one wire, IIRC. both of which are slow and good only as a gas sipper

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replys, it's kind of giving me an idea of what I have to do. I'm not looking for it to be very powerful and fast, i'm just trying to build the ultimate gas saver machine (beside hybrid). I want to just get a HF but they seem to be a little weak (60-70 hp only). A vx would give it about 20 or more so HP. If the swap is not too complicated I would like to try a vx d15z1 into a crx. It seems that the one major problem is the 5 wires o2 sensor. Does anybody know how much work it would be to hook the 5 wires o2 sensor up?

its a no brainer. Look around here on the forum. There are PLENTY of other people that were in your position. Get the conversion harness and follow instructions. its simple.

you will color match the wires from the ecu to the 02 sensor. then plug the sonsor in. its simple.

you will need the plug from the vx vtec harness. That way you can run the vtec wires to it and you can disconnect when necesary. i think 2 will run to the plug and the other will run to the solenoid(green wire).

I would spend the extra 40 bucks or whatever for the dizzy harness. If not you can do it your self using the vx harness plug. it will just take time and soldering.

remember the harness will come with directions so do be intimidated

if you are needing to convert to MPFI, i can do it if you send me the needed parts

Back