88-91 Main Relay Location

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brian11to1

When the key is turned to the ON postition there is no power to the ECU and the fuel pump does not whine. I was browsing http://Honda-Acura.net and ran across this article on the Main Relay... http://www.markl.force9.co.uk/howto/electr.../main-relay.htm. So like B, I have narrowed it down to this.

A little background on the car...

1991 Civic Hatch Standard, 196K, a $300 car, Bone Stock, Converted to 5 Speed (was 4!) has been sitting for about 4 years, Park Lights come on as soon as battery is hooked up and the switch is not "on". When the car was delivered it had no Distributor, No Alternator, No Alt. Plugs, Missing all but one IM bolt, No Battery.

The reason why I say there is no power to the ECU is becuase when you turn the key on, it does not flash. I was told if the car does not have a Alternator it will not start. Also there is no power to the Distributor. With a spare DX Distributor I attached a Spark plug to the end of the plug wire and cranked the car over only to see the car was getting no spark.

In doing all this I've narrowed it down to the Main Relay, so can someone please tell me the location of this relay. And also will an Integra fuel pump work in place of the old Civic pump. I know they are different in flow and size.

This is my brother's car and Im tired of looking at it in front of my house. LOL.

After we fix these problems we are swapping a 91 D16A6 in. SO it doesnt matter if the engine is shot as long as we can restore power to the ECU/Fuel Pump.

Thanks...

under the dash on the drivers side of the car on the sheet metal that is behind where the fender is.

Well just went out and looked at it... the main relay is missing... is it located more towards the "fuse panel"

the reason I ask there is a 7 Pin plug hanging down.

Yeah it kind of near the fuse panel. It does have a wide 7 plug connectors.

10mm wrench or socket. I think there is one bolt holding it in. Its just a bitch to get at.

Yea so I finally get back after wheeling and dealing... traded a 93 LS engine and a 91 S1 Tranny for 91 CRX Si fenders/hood/front bumper & support/headlights corner lights bumper lights.

Plugged in the Main Relay and still no flashiing on the ECU nor a whine from the FP...
positive side, I found the Start Relay!

Hey Jeef, not to be mean or anything, but if you're so happy with your Chevy truck, why are on an all Honda forum? Seems like most people here would really like Honda's. Just curious.

Originally posted by ZexCivic@Jul 6 2004, 01:24 PM
Hey Jeef, not to be mean or anything, but if you're so happy with your Chevy truck, why are on an all Honda forum? Seems like most people here would really like Honda's. Just curious.

Why did you post htat hear...

Maybe Jeef visits this website becuase he knows hondas and wants to help others out a little bit. No go elsewhere...

Jeef please respond

Spoda hopefully you will figure out why it won't start. let me know when you find out because maybe its the same thing that is messed up on my crx.

Zexcivic
First of all use personal messages you were warned for this. This has nothing to do with the thread.
I have been into Hondas for 8 years now. I just did a swap into my crx, which was my daily driver for over a year and a half. I have to sell it now because it needs more work than I have time to handle. I don't see why you care so much if I am on here just because I happen to like my $35,000 truck a lot. I work my ass off and like to have a nice vehicle. Out of the 7300 miles on the truck over half of them are from towing, and a good percentage is from hauling and moving shit. Have fun doing that with your civic. I am sick of people like you who only think Hondas are good. Its rediculous. Hondas are awesome cars but they aren't the best out there. So what if I happen to like other cars. What are you going to bitch and whine if I get the 1979 datsun 280 I am looking at.
If you want to continue this pm me. Back on topic. More warnings will be given if this off topic convo continues.

Since the dash harness was hacked a little bit I decided to source a 91 CRX Si dash, complete with wire harness and blower motor which was also "ripped" from the car... All there is left to do is buy a 91 DX harness, 91 Alternator, and 91 DX Distributor cuase these are fried... do you think this would have anything to do with it?

And can someone delete ZEXCIVIC's post... Please?

More shit found out...

The Alternator plugs on the engine harness were cut off when the alternator was taken from the car...

Inside the car the wiring for the blower motor was cut off and the blue wires are dangling down...

the radio harness has about 1 inch of wire...

So as stated before Im getting a 91 CRX SI dash complete with Gauges/center console/radio harness/Blower motor/complete uncut harness... and more...

This will solve the problems found just yesterday...

Someone of you may think this car is a waste, or may think Im an idiot.. I dont care, this car is going to be fun and since its my brothers Im not paying for shit... so its my project that my brother funds and drives!

have you checked the fuse marked Alternator Solenoid Valve? this fuse controlled power to my pump and ecu in a 91 civic hatch.

Back