88-91 Wagovan

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16RacerN2NR

Working Hard
VIP
OK guys... I haven't had a car for a long time because I sold my CRX when my son was born to pay off some bills. I mean I have an 06 Mazda 5 but that's more or so our family car and my girlfriend's main car.

Anyway, i'm ready to build another car and I've been thinking about building an 88-91 Civic Wagovan. I mean the front end looks just like a civic so i'm assuming a B-Series will go right in with the same mount kit as the civic and crx's.

This car will be used as my daily driver as well as going to the track(1/4 mile) on the weekends. I have a friend who has a Type R motor that he'll sell to me for a good price assuming his brother doesn't want it for his integra. If that falls through I will be throwing in a B16(won't stay stock) from HMotors along with an LSD tranny from them. Complete swaps FTW y0!!!

Now to my question. Is there anything on this car that is different from the same year civics and crx's that i might not be thinking about? Like the suspension, will the rear disc from a DA Integra fit perfect like it does on the CRX? ect... Is there any trim level that you suggest I should get? If I get the AWD model, would it be possible/a good idea to run the car without the drive shaft that goes to the rear diff for Hondas pathetic 10% AWD system?

I was looking on KBB.com and it said the 91 Wagovan had a 6 spd?! Is there any truth to this? I've never heard about it.

EDIT: I forgot to add, I don't really have a HP goal. More like a 1/4 mile goal. My goal is 13 seconds All Motor and 12 seconds on Nitrous. In either case I will be on slicks so my goals aren't too crazy.

Last edited:
I have a 1991 Civic Wagon that has the "Real-Time" all wheel drive. In my opinion it is actually not that bad of a system, it served me well through many Michigan winters. In my understanding, the system has a viscous coupling between the front and rear wheels. Under normal driving, about 10% of the torque goes to the back, but when there is a large speed differential, the fluid in the viscous coupling heats up and more torque is sent to the back.

As far as the six speed is concerned, it is only available on manual transmission wagons equipped with the RT4WD. It is basically a regular five speed with a "super low" ratio. In all the time we've had the car, I'll bet we've only used that a couple of times. It is more of a gimmick than something of use, but it sounds cool.

a rt4wd wagon is a great ride, although there are some rules to follow. you can not just swap any motor in it, right upper trans mount will need to be swapped for a normal chassis mount, its a cable shifter trans so expect to modify to rod shifter, or swap a h/f series motor combo. rear disc swap. its been done before but bring a bag of money and fabricating skills, its not bolt on at all, wagon trailing arms are much longer. 10% power? well i can tell you i dont know how this rumor started but really how much power do you need back there to regain front traction... 10% normal drives, id say 80-90% when active. ive built many hondas since 95, my rt4wd is by far the most fun to drive! for all the info you need on ee2 or ee4 wagons look to hcw.com we are over 2000 members strong loving our wagons

Back