88 Civic D15Z1 Swap Transmission Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

8Civic8

So i am trying to get the best MPG for my car but i am not sure what transmission will work with my car as is and the D15Z1 (aka economy vtec). The car is Automatic as of now. My questions are.

1) If i keep it as Automatic, what transmission will mount to the D15z1 engine and still mount to the car?

2) If i convert to Manual what parts do i need and what transmission will mount to the D15z1 engine and still mount to the car?

HELP!!!! (its my first swap)

1. the automatic you have now will work with the Z1 engine

2. if you convert to manual, you would want the 88-91 CRX HF transmission

there are several write-ups on how to do the auto-manual swap - do a Google search

Jlicrx, will there be a problem with the transmission that i have now if i use an obd1 ecu for the vx engine? Or will the transmission work as ussual. I think i am leaning more towards leaving it as Automatic. Will there be any extra steps to make sure that the transmission bolts on to the engine correctly or would all bolts line up?

the transmission would bolt up to the engine without any problems - same bolt pattern and everything - the problem would be with finding OBD1 Automatic ECU to correctly run the D15Z1 which has VTEC - the VX only came with a 5speed - i don't know of another OBD1 VTEC ECU that would be set up for economy like the VX - there is an OBD1 JDM engine that is essestially the same as the D15Z1 - it is the D15B VTEC-E 94hp, but i am pretty sure it was also available only in 5 speed cars - max fuel economy and auto transmissions don't go together?

Last edited:
Will a shift linkage from a 92-95 civic fit a 88 civic sedan?

Back