88 civic STD HB Turbo'in it ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fasterimage

2 SLOW CREW
I am turbo'in my 1988 Honda Civic HB STD D15 stock motor with a 4spd tranny! Well guys I cant afford a motor swap just yet and a friend of mine had a RB5 Vj11 left over from his probe and a JRC front mount.....we started messing around with the idea and got to work on it....got all the pipes mandrel bent and everything in place! Started it one day and took it for a drive! Everything worked well and we made two pounds of boost on the stock wategated turbo! Just added a MBC today and turned the boost upto 4lbs and everything still worked great! Decided we would go a bit more and turned to 7lbs of boost! I am running a stock ECU and no fuel management! I know thats bad...but a custom fuel management is in the works with Saab Cold start injectors and a device we made to turn them on! aside from that....the problem I am having is blowing the Charge pipes off! even when we clamp the crap out of them they blow off.....but not while on the throttle! we can boost and run fine....minus like a miss from lack of fuel.....but the minute I release throttle they blow off. I cant quiet figure out why there blowing off when i let off and not while its under load? I am running a 1g DSM BOV and I think that that may be the problem that it isnt releasing? could i be rite? please help or throw in some input? thanx Chris*

Just run a pressure differential across the BOV using something to suck on the feed line, then see if the valve opens.

No idea what your talkin about there.....but if u mean u dont think its getting enough vaccum to open....i think i may need to change the line for vaccum on the BOV instead of where its tapped into now...and move it closer to the manifold and not the turbo!

well like I said....it sputteres and is stubborn....but were workin on a custom way to get it more fuel!

well thanx for pointing out the obvious! I prolly could have figured that out on my own....I stated above im workin on it

ok well run it as hard as you like, im sure ill be seeing a post from you looking for cheap motors

hard as I like? I dont drive the car....it sits in my garage....the farthest it goes is to be turned on and pushed out of the driveway....only one time have we driven it down the road....for maybe a minute and that was to make sure everything else was workin properly! I do thank you for your concern tho!

I'm not sure, this 88 civic has a MAP does it? cuz when we get it extra fuel it runs fine.....it only sputters when it leans way out? I dont think my ECU is even being bothered by the 7 psi of boost???? im not throwing a code or nothing? what do u think?

Yes, it's MAP, and yes, you'll want some kind of engine management to run the boost and to also keep the MAP sensor from seeing anything but vacuum.

Back