88 crx hf brake problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kricket3000

I got the lines bleed and i get a real good pedal but as soon as i start the car the pedal goes straight to the flood!! turn the car off and the pedal comes right back. The car has sat with the brake lines open for about two years so i knew i would have some problems, any ideas???:confused:

bad seals?
bad booster?

Check booster operation per service manual
Flush entire system
Rebuild master cylinder

I'd do it in that order- cheapest/easiest to most expensive.

it makes no sense, when i have the car off i get a great pedal, when the car is on the pedal goes straight to the floor.

That's what the booster is supposed to do... but not go all the way to the floor. There's more to testing the brake booster than that though- your owner's manual should have some basic troubleshooting, and the service manual definitely has the information in it too.

tried everything the manual said, according to all the test it says its the master cylinder or wheel cylinder.wheel cylinders look good i had another master cylinder and tried it and it did the same, i guess I'll try booster next?:confused:

OK so i put another booster on and nothing changed, still great pedal when car is off but turn the car on and straight to the floor!!! other than the big vac line with the check valve in it should i check? think i might have an air pocket in there some were, i ran a whole bottle threw the lines. the wheel cylinder are fine dry as a bone. its starting to really piss me off!!!

How are you bleeding it? Also, did you bench-bleed the master cylinder(pretty much bleed the master cylinder before bleeding the system)?

Only other thing I can think of is bad seal in the master cylinder but usually you can feel it lose pressure(or at least in my case it's been like this.). You're not losing any fluid are you? Also, when it goes to the floor; have you tried pumping it to try to build pressure?

no I'm not losing any fluid that i can see. i can pump it up and get pressure with the can off when car is on i could probably blow on the pedal and it would go to the floor!

My CRX did this too!

The caliapers split in two pieces and the pins MUST be greased well. My caliapers siezed togther and it did EXACTLY what you are describing. It takes no time to pop off the 12mm bolt and grease up the pins anyway.

Hope it helps. :)

rebleed them and i got an ok pedal i guess, also i never said it but the front brakes are from a DA. do they hold more fluid than the stock HF ones, do i need to change to a DA MC and booster to get a firmer pedal?

Back