'88 CRX, Motor Swap ??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gumcrew2

I'm a big Jeep fan and I'm finally getting around to building something fast. Driving a Jeep that runs a 1/4 in 13.77 at 108 just plain sucks.

Not that that's out of the way.

I picked up an '88 CRX with the 1.5L for free today and I want to completely strip the thing down and rebuild it for racing purposes.

What should I be looking at for an engine swap?? My goal is speeeeeeeed.
Currently the thing runs, that's about it, needs a clutch and needs a tranny rebuild. It'll drive but bad.

I'm open to all suggestions. I plan on doing a motor/tranny swap, and turbo immediatly.

Also, I'm looking for a complete kit if something exists. I'd love to be able to just buy a whole kit to do the swap and then build up the engine and tranny from there.

-Saul

Last edited:
I've been trying not to be to much of a noob but I can't find any clear-cut info here. To do the swap, aside from motor mounts, what will I need? And how will wiring go??

I'm assuming that a B16A SiR is the way to go??

Thanx
-Saul

do a simple b16a swap with a turbo, plenty of options out there to build that up to 10 sec.
Your going to need to put some serious money into a b16 to make 10's.Drop a b18a1 into it and boost that.They are good for boost already with little modification.Your going to have to convert from dpfi to mpfi which isnt hard and to obd1 for better tuning options.If you can find a 90-93 integra you have pretty much everything besides mounts to put it in your crx.

Would I be better off just getting a '90-'93 Integra and working with that??
Seems like it would be alot easier than an engine swap and wiring.
-Saul

you could go with a 90-93 being that they already come stock with b-series.If you have a choice get a 92-93 since they are obd1.They are heavier cars though.I would go with the integra though

For a Jeep it's fast. It blows the doors off any other SUV on the street. But I still like being able to haul ass when I need to. And it has a top speed of like 110.

I would just get the 90-93 integra and work from there.It will already have a b-series in it and with little work can be pretty fast.Just stick with the LS bottom end that would be in it and find a b16 or gsr head to do a lsvtec.Also it would be wise to swap out the ls tranny for a cable b16 with much shorter gears.Find you some b16 p30 pistons,arp rod bolts,gsr cams,good header and intake.Also dont forget a dohc vtec ecu.If you get a 92-93 i would find a p72 or p61 ecu being that they are obd1.If you go with a 90-91 it will be best,tuning wise,to go with a obd1 conversion which isnt that hard.

Another option would be to just boost the LS thats in it.They are already good for boost but need a little help staying together.If you want to just stick with the stock internals find you some arp rod bolts because the stock ls are the weak point in the motors.You can piece together a good cheap turbo kit or pay more for on already together.

Back