88 CRX NO POWER!!! huge problem, longish read.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mikey bottles

Prof. Bottles
so heres the deal ill give you as many details as you can. i have a 1988 crx si with a b16a in it. it has the stock harness in it, and about a year ago i relocated the battery to the back of the car. everything worked great, but i was having trouble with the batteries i put in going bad, basically its my daily driver, its got a very rigid suspension, and i auto x with it as well so it kept leaking battery acid. so recently i purchased the Odyssey dry cell battery w/ the relocator kit from password jdm which moves the battery back to the front of the car, mounting it agains the frame rail next to the transmission. i get home from work today, unhook the pos. and neg terminals, take the battery out, and pull the pos. and neg wires from the car. i installed the new battery against the frame rail, cut the cables accordingly, bolted down my ground and hooked up the pos. wire to the starter. once everything was installed i got in the car and turned the key to the on position, all the lights lit up as usual and the main relay clicked. i went to cycle the key and nothing happened, then i remembered i forgot to hook up the trigger wire to the starter. so i got out, plugged in the trigger wire, got back in the car and put it back into the on pos again, waited for the main relay to click, and cycled the key to crank the car. once i did that ALL of my power immediately went out. all the fuses in the external and internal fuse boxes look good, no broken connections. ive got power to ALL of the fuses in the external fuse block bc we checked them with a multi meter, but was unable to test the ones underneath the dash. Its got no headlights, no dome light, no power whatsoever. i hooked up a jump box to it once and got a green light for good/correct connection... but when we hooked it up later it started flashing that the terminals were hooked up reversed.. even though they werent... so after about an hour of checking around we decided to hook it up again to see if it had the same problem, and it did not, the third time we hooked up it, it gave me the green light for good/correct connection again. i have NO idea what could be causing this... does anyone have any ideas besides the main relay? also i tried hooking up another ecu to the car to see if i fried mine, it did not help at all!

Last edited:
triple checked all my connections, tried the old battery, something blew or melted, no power whatsover, dropped it off at a local electrical shop about an hour ago.. the guy has great prices and is rumored to be an electrical genious with cars, especially foreign so ill update as soon as i know whats wrong with it.

sorry for taking so long to update, ended up being that the main cables i reused are bad, got new main battery cables in and the car runs great!

Back