'88 D16 into 1993 civic swap - will it work????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

88_Red_CRX

my firend has successfully blown his stock 1.5 L engine in his 1993 civic hatch.

my question is: will the engine from my '88 CRX (1.6L, non-vTec) fit into his car, given that had the similar multiport injection engine (also non-vtec), but 1.5L? will the ECU need to be reprogrammed?

thanks, need answer ASAP!!!!

-alex

my firend has successfully blown his stock 1.5 L engine in his 1993 civic hatch.

my question is: will the engine from my '88 CRX (1.6L, non-vTec) fit into his car, given that had the similar multiport injection engine (also non-vtec), but 1.5L? will the ECU need to be reprogrammed?

thanks, need answer ASAP!!!!

-alex

i think he could run the same ECU since its non-vtec...also the 93 1.5 liter is the D15B7 and is OBD-1 so he would convert to OBD-1. The 88 CRX with the 1.6 is i am assuming a an D16A6? That is a OBD-0. I would try to run the ECU out of that CRX which is the PM6.

i think he could run the same ECU since its non-vtec...also the 93 1.5 liter is the D15B7 and is OBD-1 so he would convert to OBD-1. The 88 CRX with the 1.6 is i am assuming a an D16A6? That is a OBD-0. I would try to run the ECU out of that CRX which is the PM6.

What? You cant put a pm6 in a 93 hatch civic. :wtf:

Yes the d16a6 will fit in the car. Youll have to swap the d15b7 drivers side engine mount under the timing cover onto the d16a6. You can use either intake manifold, but the 93 will work easier and has the better map sensor setup. Youll also have to rewire the ECT(engine coolant temp) fan switch. Its on the back of the block on the d16a6 and located on the thermostat housing on the d15b7.

The p06 ecu for the 93 d15b7 will work fine on the d16a6. Its only around a 4 hp difference if I remember correctly.

Don't mess with the electronics at all. Just swap over all the electronics and manifolds from the blown engine. Then you won't even have to worry about any conversions- you'd just be replacing the engine itself. The car's original ECU should run the A6 well enough. If he feels like it's lacking, he can always chip the ECU with an A6 fuel/timing map. Doing it this way is a TON easier than rewiring the whole car for non-OBD sensors.

Back