1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

88 dx hatch timing d15b2

Discussion in 'Civic and CRX - EF' started by civicracer04, May 3, 2009.

1. civicracer04

civicracer04 New Member

I have an 88 civic dx and was wondering if I could adjust the timing at the distributor for better performance, or will the ecu just compensate and move it back?

2. red91efhatch

red91efhatch New Member

you could, but you won't see much improvement. it's not worth the risk of hurting the engine IMO

3. civicracer04

civicracer04 New Member

its a race car so I am looking to get every last bit of performance out of it.[​IMG]

4. GlassHeadlights

GlassHeadlights West West Yall

If you take off the 4 screrws off of the top of the intake manifold (the part that says "DPFI") there is a metal wall in there that looks like it blocks a lot of air flow.

If its a race car I would see if it makes a difference if you take it out, although Honda must have put it there for a reson.

5. civicracer04

civicracer04 New Member

Thats a good idea, I also noticed there is a vacuum operated butterfly at the top of the throttle body, would it hurt to tie that open somehow, or take it out?

6. GlassHeadlights

Have you ever seen it move when the motor is running? It works well, I wouldn't touch it.

7. GlassHeadlights

I would keep the timing set at a base, and concentrate more on the air and fuel getting in and out. Also general maintenance items such as spark plugs, air filter and oxygen sensor should be checked.

8. civicracer04

civicracer04 New Member

Someone told me to unplug the O2 sensor and let it run in open loop? They said it would run richer and make more power, is that true?

9. 95EGCoupeVtec

95EGCoupeVtec SOHC VTEC at its best

running the car more rich wont increase your power, the only thing unplugging your o2 sensor will do is throw a CEL and decrease your mpg, but you can do w/e u think will "make more power". not trying to sound like a dick but that's how it sounds, oh yeah and...
    :leet: Thats all.

10. civicracer04

civicracer04 New Member

Running the car richer will increase power (13:1 a/f as opposed to 16:1) , what I am not sure about is, will unplugging the O2 sensor and running off the fuel map actually make it richer or is it tuned fairly lean anyways? If you unplug the O2 sensor will it go into the same open loop mode as when its cold or a different one is what I was wondering? I thought about running a resistor for the temp sensor to make it think its cold all the time, but I would rather not deal with having to solder in a resistor and put an aftermarket temp gauge.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted