88 dx hatch timing d15b2

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicracer04

I have an 88 civic dx and was wondering if I could adjust the timing at the distributor for better performance, or will the ecu just compensate and move it back?

its a race car so I am looking to get every last bit of performance out of it.
civicavatarcopy1.jpg

If you take off the 4 screrws off of the top of the intake manifold (the part that says "DPFI") there is a metal wall in there that looks like it blocks a lot of air flow.

If its a race car I would see if it makes a difference if you take it out, although Honda must have put it there for a reson.

Thats a good idea, I also noticed there is a vacuum operated butterfly at the top of the throttle body, would it hurt to tie that open somehow, or take it out?

I would keep the timing set at a base, and concentrate more on the air and fuel getting in and out. Also general maintenance items such as spark plugs, air filter and oxygen sensor should be checked.

I would keep the timing set at a base, and concentrate more on the air and fuel getting in and out. Also general maintenance items such as spark plugs, air filter and oxygen sensor should be checked.

Someone told me to unplug the O2 sensor and let it run in open loop? They said it would run richer and make more power, is that true?

Someone told me to unplug the O2 sensor and let it run in open loop? They said it would run richer and make more power, is that true?

running the car more rich wont increase your power, the only thing unplugging your o2 sensor will do is throw a CEL and decrease your mpg, but you can do w/e u think will "make more power". not trying to sound like a dick but that's how it sounds, oh yeah and...
:leet: Thats all.

Running the car richer will increase power (13:1 a/f as opposed to 16:1) , what I am not sure about is, will unplugging the O2 sensor and running off the fuel map actually make it richer or is it tuned fairly lean anyways? If you unplug the O2 sensor will it go into the same open loop mode as when its cold or a different one is what I was wondering? I thought about running a resistor for the temp sensor to make it think its cold all the time, but I would rather not deal with having to solder in a resistor and put an aftermarket temp gauge.

Back