88 Prelude ecu conversions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fentruck

I'm just beginning to learn about ecu's but i do have a couple of questions if anyone can answer them. I have a 88 Prelude si 2.0 with 4ws and i want to convert my OBD-0 to an OBD-1. The main reason that i wanted to do this is for the dignositic application of it.

For one is it possible and do i have to change my ecu/engine?

Next is it even worth it if i don't plan on doing a engine transplant and only minor modifications?

Is there anyway that i can work on dignostics without converting to OBD-1?

If i did upgrade my ecu and upgrade to OBD-1 what major modifications would then become viable on my stock engine?

I relize that some of these questions may be simple but I'm young and still learning. Any help will be greatly appreaciated, I have done as much research as i can find about it in order to not waste your time and hopefully get some answers.

if you converted you would have to get an obd1 wiring harness, and ecu its not worth it unless you do a swap plus even if you did convert it won't make your engine run better and if do big mods to your engine like boreing it out or better fuel system like bigger fuel pump or higher cc injectors you would have to port the head and upgrade the fuel rail and increase the size of you fuel lines for any of those mods to matter and you want to do all that you would be better off getting a stand alone fuel mangement system but unless your doing major stuff to your engine like i mentioned above you don't need to convert or get a fuel mangement system

p.s. if you upgrade fuel you have to upgrade air turbo/supercharger it depends on what mods you want to do.

what diagnostic stuff are you referring to? Honda's didn't get any kind of real disagnostic stuff until 96 with OBD2. Explain better what you are trying to accomplish and we will be able to help you better.

You don't need it to be obd1 to diagnose it or to hood up any diagnostics computer to tune it if thats what you mean.. you just have to know where the wires are located and bridge them..

diagnostics didn't start proper until 96 with OBD2.
A limited amount of diagnostics can be done with the stock OBD1 computers.
A limited amount of diagnostics can be done with the stock oBD0 computers.

Converting to OBD1 won't help you much, what are you after?

Back