89 Civic Hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ma89Honda

I have a 89 civic hatch std and the engine only has 74,000 miles. The low mileage makes me kind of hestitant to do a swap now(money plays a role in that too) and end up with more probably alot more miles. I was wondering if there was anything cheaper I could do now, that would still be usable in the future with possible engine swap. I don't think the engine I have now has very much potential, but I just wanted to see any suggestions for beefing up this 70hp monster(cai, exhaust etc....)
thanks for any help

You could upgrade the exhaust system, but that's about all I would do if you're planning on swapping the engine. While you're waiting for more cash, you can spend little bits on suspension upgrades. They'll make your car much more enjoyable, and you don't have to throw half of it away when you swap.

Also, if u are planning on buying a B16 or B18a, then u can get a short ram intake, buy the integra one, its a tight fit but it works, then when u swap in a new engine u can still use the intake. That what i did, also, run a line of dryer piping to old stock air box and under bumper, run this to lower intake hole and u have a $2 cold air intake.

you could just wait till you have more cash and swap in either the b16a1 or b18a. There isnt too much you can do with your stock motor and if your planning on swaping it in the future then there isnt much point in upgrading it, other then the exhuast as Calesta mentioned.

As for saving for swaps the ZC is cheaper then the b-series engines, and you dont have to replace the tranny or get motor mounts.

The ZC and B16a1 are both JDM engine and usually come with fairly low mileage as well, just something to think about.

Thanks for the replies,
If I were to upgrade exhaust, should i redo everything? or could i just get a new muffler? or new piping? would I see any improvement from just doing one? And what kind of prices should I get for each individual one?

Back