89 Civic - should I?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jammery2k

So I have been wanting a project car for some time and have found what I think is a fantastic deal. $800 for the car as is.

Honda 1989 Civic DX(? Not sure if its a DX as haven't seen VIN yet)

The current owner bought it for his wife 3 years ago and replaced lots -
Altenator
Timing Belt
Brake system (Rotors/Drums/Pads)
Water Pump
All Hoses
Plugs/Wires
New Tires

There is more but I am forgetting it.
The list goes on - but the car has lost an exhaust valve on Cylinder 1
The engine is a D15B2 - I have the tools and time to fix just the valve but I want to know how far I could get by throwing another $500 to $600 at it.

Should I buy a new head and rebuild it?
Just fix it and go?
Looking for options for the right now and then possibly working this car up into a VTech motor as I can gather money/parts.

End result is it will be a daily driver from my 40 minute drive to work.

I love my 91 4 door. I have been driving it for 5 years and have replaced all the above that you have mentioned. Now I'm looking at a DOHC motor. You will get any where between 35 and 41 mpg with the B2 engine depending on the type of driving you do. My car is cheap to drive, cheap to maintain, cheap to insure and fun to drive.

It really depends on if you like the single cams or dual. You can just do a mini me swap (1.5 bottom and a vtec head) for about 300 to 500 depending on where you go for parts. Craigslist is a good source. That should give you about 20 to 25 hp and you'll have vtec :)

94tuner, I would go that route if my car didn't have 283K miles and need a clutch too :) After doing a lot of research, I think I'll order a JDM ZC and have a motor with 40K miles and about 40 more HP :)

Back