89 crx and GSR

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

redbullapril23

Hey hows it going,
Ok first things first.
I am about to buy a 1989 CRX from a local guy. body and paint are perfect! not that I care to much. The entire interior is gutted, no dash what so ever... just steering wheel/coloum
drivers seat. all of which is ok by me because i was gonna gut it any wayz.
It has stock motor and tranny (stick of corse)

I want to put the GSR engine and tranny into it.
will i get a better tune from an OBD 2 GSR engine or an obd 1 engine?
the reason I ask is because i will be doin all manual labor except tuning, but i will be setting the car to run on E85.

any thoughts or comments are appreciated along with a place to buy the things i need to do this.

thanks for your time and patience I know youve prob seen stuff like this 10000000000 times.
as you can tell i am newer to imports... i have a vette

thanks Your friend
Sean

unsure of which motor you are going to get a better tune out of. but i can tell you you will need motor mounts and shift linkage. also what model crx is it'' because you may need to convert it to mpfi! and if so you will need an mpfi engine harness also you will need a different ecu! hope this helps oh and i got my mounts and linkage from ebay!and if you neeed the harness'' this is easilly found on the bay as well. or you could go search the local salvage yards. if you have one that does not yank the motors!!

as far as CRX model i have no idea i think im going to go and get the car this sat.
Does hasport sell the conversion harness and shift linkage? i will prob buy the motor mounts from them so why no the rest if they have it. just for the ease of doing so.

i know i need a different ECU i was hoping to pick up the entire engine/tranny/ecu when as a whole.
can i use the same axels?

thanks alot for your help!
your friend
Sean

yes you can buy all the parts from hasport'' linkage mounts and conv harness. you will need different axles. if you are planning on building a door slammer then you will probably want to buy heavy duty axles. i hear that raxles makes good ones but i cant vouch for their product because i dont have a set. i used integra axles for my swap.

unsure of which motor you are going to get a better tune out of. but i can tell you you will need motor mounts and shift linkage. also what model crx is it'' because you may need to convert it to mpfi! and if so you will need an mpfi engine harness also you will need a different ecu! hope this helps oh and i got my mounts and linkage from ebay!and if you neeed the harness'' this is easilly found on the bay as well. or you could go search the local salvage yards. if you have one that does not yank the motors!!
Go here: Rywire - Online Store they have EVERYTHING you need.

Personally I would reccommend OBD1 over OBD2. You'll need some motor mounts, you can build your own shift linkage using the civics, wiring for VTEC solenoid, VTEC pressure switch, Knock sensor, IAB(dual butterflies), and wiring for the 4 wire oxygen sensor. You'll also need axles, 90-93 Integra manual transmission axles will work. Call up the company you will be getting the motor from and see if you can get them to put a cable transmission from an XSI B16A (stay away from the older B16A cable tranny if you can) on there or if you go hydraulic you'll have to get the conversion kit. You''ll also need a OBD0-OBD1 ECU adaptor to use the OBD1 ECU. You can swap the plugs over from your distributor onto the GSR's or get a distributor adaptor. Its sounds like a lot but its not too bad.

Back