89 CRX AUTO to d16y8 MANUAL

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Stay with me here.

First off you ask why would I want to put a d16y8 into a CRX?? :huh: Why not bigger huh??? Well you see this is going to be a race car, no not a see how fast I can get my car to go, but a car to race in a 4 cyl SOHC stock class. I live in WI where is is very hard to find a CRX that is not rotted out and well I found this one with a good shell, bad motor and tranny, and at a steal price. B)

My friend has a 97 Ex and wants to do a b16 swap, actually I would do most of the work, and in return I would get his engine, tranny, computer combo.

Now mounting the engine will be easy, but I am a bit worried about going from OBD0 all the way to OBD2 and getting the engine to run properly. I know I will need to find the wiring from the engine to the computer, since I will need to keep that in for the b16 in the 97, but what else am I going to need to do???? What parts should I be looking for??

My other option is just throwing in a stock CRX SI engine tranny combo easliy for about $400 for the enginetrannycomputercombo, but I want more horse, plus I get the VTEC for virtually free!!!!

Also, I am going to need pedals for the hydro clutch and shift linkage.

If anyone has any info or PARTS please let me know. Thanks!!!

justinpoenitsch@hotmail.com

Well I guess you guys don't have much input. I have decided to just stick with the stock and find myself an SI CRX d16 set up for cheap. I also plan on hooking up a ZC computer to get a few more horse. Anyone try that??? Does it work or not?

What association do you paln to race in? If it is NASA or SCCA they do not allow motor swaps in the improved touring class (SCCA or the comprable class in NASA).

If you are trying to do it covertly, the VTEC solinoid is a dead give away. If you do choose to go d16y8 a 89-91 CRX Si or Civic Si transmission is the way to go, they're both cable and have lower gearing than the 96-00 Civic EX trans.

hey man, the best thing u could do to stay class legal is keep the d16a6 and build it with cams springs retainers, alot of bottem end work so it can hold 7000+ RPM's a good ecu chip, i/h/e and a good clutch/flywheel. dont waist the $$ on a y8, for the extra $$ ull spend getting a clutch tranny and do the wiring, its not worth it. u can get a z6 for like 400 or just the SOHC vtec head from a z6 for 150 and it will be just as fast with alot les headaches.

also, i dont belive the Si was made in a auto version, so u probably have a HF CX /DX, if u have a CX or DX u will need to do dpi-mpfi change.

Yes, I have a HF and I want to put the SI engine in because it should pretty much plug right in. I am getting the computer with it and I thought that would adjust the fuel from dual to multi for me, won't it??? Please let me know if I am totally wrong. Thanks guys!!!

Justin

Originally posted by SleEPeR_CRX@Oct 16 2003, 08:50 PM
also, i dont belive the Si was made in a auto version, so u probably have a HF CX /DX, if u have a CX or DX u will need to do dpi-mpfi change.

The only crx that came in auto was the dx. There were only three models of the crx hf, dx, and si. Stop this misinformation.

jpoenitsch
The hf is already mpfi. You do not have to worry abgout any dual or multi stuff. Take what sleeper wrote with a grain of salt. Get your info from a more reliable source.

Here is what I would do. Check your rule book to make sure that the mods you do will be legal for the class you are running. You can't use the 97 tranny, I am 99% sure the mounts won't line up and it will be a bitch to convert to hydro. I would get the crx si tranny. 175 bucks max. Then take your buddy's y8 engine and look into different wiring methods. You don't have to convert to obd2, here are several easier methods of running the engine. Its all depends how much you want to get into this project.

Back