89 crx dx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

93civicsir

Ok, i am rebuilding my crx. and i am debating on what engine.
i foung a web site that did this swap.
Has anyone done an obdo - obd 2 conv.?
i did all the wiring on my b16 civic swap. that was a snap.
i figured i would use the dx wiring harness and just convert the wiring over useing wiring
diagrams.
any ideas or comments?

You would actually be better off running OBD1...

Wire up the motor using your stock wiring harness. The only things you'll have to change is the injector plugs (use the OBD2 plugs from the motor) and the distributor plug (match up the wire colors and use the OBD2 plug). Then just get an obd0-obd1 jumper and an obd1 ecu with a B16B map. Katman at ff-squad.net can sell you an obd1 ecu mapped for a b16b for fairly cheap.

Rywire does sell an obd0-obd2b conversion harness for $165, but you'd be much better off just running obd1 if you plan on doing anything performance-wise in the future, other than keeping the car stock. Granted, you COULD convert to obd2, but if you ever plan on aftermarket cams or pistons, or turboing it, you can't tune RELIABLY with obd2 (VAFC hacks do NOT count as a method of tuning).

Rywire obd0-obd2b harness: http://rywire.com/store/product_info.php?c...28a828025c75cfd

Quoted post[/post]]
You would actually be better off running OBD1...

Wire up the motor using your stock wiring harness. The only things you'll have to change is the injector plugs (use the OBD2 plugs from the motor) and the distributor plug (match up the wire colors and use the OBD2 plug). Then just get an obd0-obd1 jumper and an obd1 ecu with a B16B map. Katman at ff-squad.net can sell you an obd1 ecu mapped for a b16b for fairly cheap.

Rywire does sell an obd0-obd2b conversion harness for $165, but you'd be much better off just running obd1 if you plan on doing anything performance-wise in the future, other than keeping the car stock. Granted, you COULD convert to obd2, but if you ever plan on aftermarket cams or pistons, or turboing it, you can't tune RELIABLY with obd2 (VAFC hacks do NOT count as a method of tuning).

Rywire obd0-obd2b harness: http://rywire.com/store/product_info.php?c...28a828025c75cfd

+1

OBD1 stands as the best, hands down, for tuning. OBD0 is simple and easy, but less effective and has less potential. Basically there is nothing wrong with it, but it just isn't OBD1. OBD2a-b are clumsy, difficult and a larger expense for the benefit than any other option. For some reason, I imagine OBD3 tuning and hacking will take off long before someone ever says "I'd rather be OBD2".

Crome, Hondata and Autronic are three very good and very different routes of tuning that you can take. I myself will likely use Crome on my P28. I can't afford Autronic's SM4, but I am considering Hondata's S300 if the price is ever right. Beyond that, I wouldn't waste my time on things like TurboEDIT or UberData. Both are inadequate and neither are written\programmed well. They lack sufficient features and I would only run one of my cars on either if it meant getting a rough tune so that my engine wouldn't blow up on the way to a friend's to put Crome on my computer.

Piggybacks like Apexi VAFC, Buddyclub VTEC controller, etc... are jokes\toys. I don't need to go any further than that really. What I will say is that I would run AEM's engine management software before a system like those. I don't plan on ever using anything from AEM either.

If you can afford it, I recommend S300 and dyno tuning after you complete the swap on an eddycurrent loading dyno if there is one around your area.

hell no there is no dyno close by. Im did find one in KC, Two hours away.
but i have decided to just go with obd-1 b16a and turbo.
close to how much i would spend on the b16b. since i already have the engine. have troubles with the civic. and i want my crx done.

Back