'89 CRX Si - add Power Steering

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GeneGetman

Hi, I just purchased an 89 CRX (always wanted one!) but unfortunately it doesn't have power steering and living in New York City, I need to park often and in tight spaces! I also need to make turns and swerve on a dime because cutting people off is a necessary skill here. Most importantly, I will be driving this car in the winter, in the snow, and a manual rack just wont cut it and is frankly dangerous.

I bought this car because of how practical it is in NYC but that includes power steering.

I ordered a power steering rack from ebay and know I will need a reservoir. What else do I need? Also, how much do you think it would cost to make the conversion in labor?

Thanks!

Are you sure you need it? I never had an issue with the manual rack in the snow or parking any of my Civics or my CRX. Even with oversized tires it wasn't hard to turn. Keep some properly inflated good tires on there.

are you child sized?

all 3 of my CRX didnt have power steering.... wasn't but a thing to move it around.

btw if that is your car in your avatar i love it!

My truck with power steering and 275/55r20 tires is a pain in the ass to move at slow speeds.

I actually think that the manual steering on my crx was easier than the power steering in the wife's 2008 Civic. I miss the point and steer of the crx.

If the crx is yours in the avatar I am jealous. I miss my crx. I am looking for a car and can't find a clean crx.

BTW you will probably need a pump, pressure lines, belt, maybe even an different crank pulley. i don't remember how tight it is in the engine bay but the engine may have to come out or atleast forward to get to the rack.

yup, rack, lines, belt, crank pulley, reservoir and fluid of course... lots of work.

as above, you get used to it quick. Learn to drive just a little differently, which is actually better for your tires. Instead of cranking the wheel while stopped, roll a bit while you turn and you'll find its easy to do.

A set of dumbbells is pretty cheap too :D

Back