89 dx civic hatch upgrade

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

psi

Okay here is what i got:
89 honda civic dx hatch
b16a motor swap.
Exhaust
Intake

Now, I was considering that I would want to get a upgrade. I've been out of the loop for a while now so don't flame me if I mistate something. Since this is a JDM motor, I was wondering on its value. I am considering to upgrade to a B20 motor but which one. Rule of thumb as I know it, "there is no replacement for displacement". So, I am considering on getting that upgraded to a B20 but the problem is which one? And should i even consider the k20 as a viable swap option. What is the usual cost for these 2 motors? My original swap costed $4k. But that was mostly cuz of the wiring. That was pretty expensive.

thx

the k swap is the way to go but its high, by the time you buy the motor and put it in you will have about 7-10 grand in it,, the b20b is abut 700 bucks just put your b16a head on it and its a perty good motor given its done right and has a good tune

Thanks. Yah. I'm trying to min max. I'm getting another car later next year from a friend that he is reserving for me. So that is why I'll probably go with the B20 swap. Now you mentioned it has to be tuned. Now is that in reference to the fact that I do need to get a new ECU/or reprogrammed. Since the block it completely different in a sense the timing and all that has to be changed. Plus the cost to install the bitch. Different engine, different mounting points for the damn block. :(

Having the block out before putting it in does allow me to put the good stuff in there. Like thermal coated pistons and shit like that. :D I am considering going for a straight all motor build without any FI. I know everyone has their own taste in what they want to do with their cars. So that is why I don't knock ppl for going with something like a D series and a blower or something like that. Its their money and if that is what they want to do. Let them.
Thx 4 the tip. l8s

the b20 will mount just like the b16 thats in there already so that easy, but what ever head you choose to go with use the ecu thats meant for that head and it will be fine.

Thanks. I didn't know about the ECU matching the head. Makes it easier since I got the b16a head already I might as well just swap it. :D Less work to do.

Thanks for the help. I've already got a list of parts I want when I get the port n polish done. :D I'm so pumped. I've already got some money saved up finally for some real work to be done.

Get even more pumped up when you spend that loot you have saved up for some stronger valvetrain! :thumbsup:

the k swap is the way to go but its high, by the time you buy the motor and put it in you will have about 7-10 grand in it,, the b20b is abut 700 bucks just put your b16a head on it and its a perty good motor given its done right and has a good tune
FAAILLLLL
u get popped b20 ur car is impounded and or crushed. especially california.
go GSR bottom end poorman it. better torque specs and u can still smog it if ya feel like converting to obd1 and getting smog equipment for a 94-00 civic or civicdelsol.

Okay here is what i got:
89 honda civic dx hatch
b16a motor swap.
Exhaust
Intake

Now, I was considering that I would want to get a upgrade. I've been out of the loop for a while now so don't flame me if I mistate something. Since this is a JDM motor, I was wondering on its value. I am considering to upgrade to a B20 motor but which one. Rule of thumb as I know it, "there is no replacement for displacement". So, I am considering on getting that upgraded to a B20 but the problem is which one? And should i even consider the k20 as a viable swap option. What is the usual cost for these 2 motors? My original swap costed $4k. But that was mostly cuz of the wiring. That was pretty expensive.

thx

Also K series wind up being stolen lately- on top of that b20 nonvtec block u need to TAP the head for it 200 more than u need to spend for a block- gsr bolt right up headgasket vrooom vroom goooo.

Back