89 ef hatch swap trouble-over heating

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mwbohn

I just recently dropped a b16 into my 89 ef hatch, and im having overheating issues, while driving or under a load, the temp gauge will dip back and forth and the car will fill like it wants to die as if it were running out of gas but i let off the gas and get back in the throttle and the temp gauge goes back down and it the problem goes away for a while. im not sure what the problem could be so any advice will be much appreciated.

Does it seem to have any idle issues? Are you sure it is over heating? In my D15b EF I was having what seemed to be over heating/idle problems. I'm not sure with a PR3 or PW0 because I haven't run into that yet on my b16a, but I know the ECU I was using for my SOHC read the temp sensor for idle controls, etc. Maybe you need to replace that on the block? I'm not sure off hand what you should be reading from it on a multi meter.

i realy dont think its over heating, but i m haveing idle probloms. evey once in a while when i start it it wount rev up or go once i put it in gear. just kinda bogs out. so i kill it and then re-start it and its ok. im puzzled, it does what it wants when it wants. i cant move forward till i fix this

sounds like some sort of wiring issue to me. Double and triple check all your connections, and grounds. Bad grounds can wreak havoc on these cars.

Back