89 Hatch 4 Spd To Dx 5 Spd Please Help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

espinosamj

I have an 89 hatch std with 4 speed, i want to put in a 5 speed from a dx, are the splines the same, how do i know if a tranny is a five speed from a dx when it is not in the car, like serial numbers... identifing marks please help me. thanks

this is actually not that complicated of a swap. you will need the 5 speed tranny and you might as well change your clutch while the tranny is off. make sure to get a tranny that is from 89-91, as the 88 has fewer teeth, and would require a different clutch. also you should considder getting the SI tranny, the only draw back I see with the SI tranny is driving at 4000rpm at 80mph. Where the DX is at like 3500 at 80mph.

thank you for your info, i have found out that the si tranny has 21 splines where my car has 20 splines, I dont know how many the dx tranny has, I also was told by a honda mechanic that I might have to change my shift linkage also is this true. I bought a new clutch for it, a center force

most likely you shouldn't have to replace the shift linkage. if not grab one at a salvage yard for $15-20

Back