89 hatch d16 to something with vtec?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dskadberg

I'm sure this has been answered so meplace else before, I can't manage to find it though. Can anyone refer me to, or tell me what the most practical thing to do for what I wanna do would be.

I currently have a stock d16 in my 89 hatch. The previous owner did.minor things like intake and exhaust, don't know how much of a difference that made cuz I didn't experience it before that stuff was done to it. Anyways, its fun, but still slow for my taste. My moms 95 Camry can pull away from my civic. So I wanna add more power without spending a lot of money. And I DO NOT wanna buy another car like someone always suggests, if I did I would post this. I might consider buying a parts car with a blown engine and rebuild it.

I think the best option is a engine swap vs Turbo or anything major like that. I'm just asking for any suggestions from anyone who may have been in the same situation. I've seen engine swap charts but I get a bit lost when I'm trying to read them. If you have any advice to offer it will be appreciated. Look forward to hearing back.

Thanks!

Correction: I think my exact engine is a D16B2 idk why I thought it was a d16. Anyways I'm not allowed to edit or delete yet apparently. So the title has to stay like that until I get that privilege.

imo, cheapest, easiest way to get a little more power while staying reliable, is getting either a b20 or a b18 (ls engine) intake, header, exhaust.... done...

the best bang for your buck is the JDM DOHC ZC engine - bolts right into your car using your transmission, axles, exhaust, etc. - you just need to do the DPFI to MPFI wiring changes (which you need to do with any MPFI swap) and get a different ECU and short ram intake - rated at 130hp, (which is the same as the 90-91 B18A1 and more than the B20B) but actual dyno results show the ZC really has around 135-140 hp - most stock DOHC ZCs with intake, header and exhaust will dyno between 118 to 122 whp - the DOHC ZC only adds about 25 lbs to the car, not around 100 lbs like a B-series (adding 100 lbs is same as taking away 10 hp) - to do a B-series swap, you need the engine, B-series transmission, aftermarket mount kit, different axles, different shift linkage, intake, header and ECU - having done over 100 engine swaps since 1999, with more than 50 of them being DOHC ZCs, i can tell you for a fact that in the same model car, the stock DOHC ZC with the right transmission and exhaust is quicker than any stock SOHC D-series engine and any stock non-VTEC B-series engine - the only B-series engine that i would consider swapping to would be the B16, but you will spend more money for the B16 than for the ZC

How much do you want to spend on making your car faster? That's always THE most important first question to answer.

jlicrx is right...i totally forgot about the dohc zc engine...

Back