1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

89 Honda CRX idle problem....

Discussion in 'Civic and CRX - EF' started by Aleaf.CRX, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Aleaf.CRX

Aleaf.CRX Hates Cunts!

I know a lot of people probably ask about this, and I've scanned through the references, but my idle is still really weird. When it starts up first thing everyday, the idle is extremely high, sometimes up to around 2000 rpms. After riding around a bit, it'll drop down, sometimes being normal (or around normal) and sometimes it'll be too low.

Here's a list of replacements. I have no idea what is wrong with it, but I'll list everything, cuz you never know.

*Battery
    *Distributor
    *Headgasket x2 (I know this probably doesn't have anything to do with what's wrong)
    *Timing Belt
    *Ignitor Coil
    *Ignition Module
    *Air Filter

I think that's about it.
    Anyway, any advice is welcome. I'm not looking for someone to tell me exactly what it is, just a little push in the right direction maybe and I can do the rest. Thanks!!!:D:D:D
  2. YBLEGAL

YBLEGAL Regular Member w/ Cheese

intake manifold gasket
    throttle body gasket
    injector seals
    iacv o-rings
    fitv plunger
    iacv cleaning

(i forget off hand if it's a carb... ignore whatever isnt relavent)
    and that's all i can think of at the moment
  3. LS_VTEC

LS_VTEC you get the BRAKE

Coolant problems can cause idle issues. Low coolant levels, inoperative thermostat as well. But your problem is probably a vacuum leak or intake manifold gasket leak. Good luck :thumbsup:
  4. 8ballsin

8ballsin New Member

try the MAP senser
  5. tunercrazed

tunercrazed HS Official Hippie

test it by exposing the throttle body and covering the holes. If its the lower hole its most likely something with your AICV if its the upper then a FITV
  6. INJEN78

INJEN78 HS LEGEND

bleed the air out of your coolant system..either open the rad. cap and let it run or,,on the the head where the coolant hose goes,,there should be a "nipple" type thing that you loosen..
    if that doesnt do it..check all the vacuum lines,and the connections on the manifold
  7. AHHVTEC

AHHVTEC Well-Known Member

just clean your iacv
  8. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

Worst advice ever.

What is going on with you guys ?!
  9. YBLEGAL

YBLEGAL Regular Member w/ Cheese

10. tunercrazed

I'm being held captive by nazi wookies?
  11. LS_VTEC

LS_VTEC you get the BRAKE

You have it backwards. The IACV would be the top hole in the throttle body and the FITV would be the bottom. :)
  12. kemp205

kemp205 sleeper

idle control valve
    throttle position sensor
    cold start valve or
    o2 sensors
  13. tunercrazed

lol oh well thanks for straightening that out
  14. Aleaf.CRX

Aleaf.CRX Hates Cunts!

Cold start valve? I'm assuming it does what it's name indicates, right?
    Because my idle's fucked up, but I noticed after the engine is warmed up, it's pretty mellow for the rest of the day....
    My tachometer is the same. I'm redlining it down to work at like 30-35 mph, but after I park it, or the car warms up, it's fine for the rest of the day.....
  15. kemp205

kemp205 sleeper

If it stops when it warms up then its probably not a vacuum problem but it wouldnt hurt to check hoses for cracks
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2008