1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'89 Prelude

Discussion in 'Prelude' started by joelaw, Dec 4, 2006.

1. joelaw

joelaw New Member

I'm workin on an '89 Lude and I want to get rid of the B20A5 engine. Does anyone know the best swap for the buck on this model? :confused:
  2. AHHVTEC

AHHVTEC Well-Known Member

realy theres no god swap that cheap for this car you can put a h22a in there and thats about it other than the stock one
  3. joelaw

joelaw New Member

so???

so there is no other engine that will fit the 89 prelude even if i re-wired and put in an ecu? such as a v-tech?
  4. AHHVTEC

ou mean vtec not vtech but yea you could but it wont be worth it, it would probly be slower than you stock motor unless you put you put a h or a f series in there
  5. joelaw

joelaw New Member

vtec....

sorry bout the mispell, i've done some research on the B20A5 and it only puts out 135hp. i have a spare D16Z6 with tranny, wiring harness, ecu and axels. it puts out 125hp. i'm not particulrly concerned with speed, i just don't like the B20A5 engine. it's junk. I'm just wondering if the D16Z6 will fit in the Lude? and also what kind of problems i will encounter if i decide to take on the task. This is a project car and i don't have much money in it yet. I'm takin my time with it, so if i have to wire up an ecu it won't bother me at all... can it be done????
  6. AHHVTEC

yea with a welder any motor can go in anycar the prelude is way to heavy for that motor so lets say for exsample your staock car does 0-60 in 9seconds the d16z6 in there it will do it in about 14 seconds just buy a f22 if your on a buget put that in there or stick with what you got..the d16z6 will go in there but with a shit load of fabbing
  7. joelaw

joelaw New Member

cool...

cool cool... so the f22 is the best bet if i want to get away from stock? i'll do some research on that one too then. thanks for the help! do you know of a good write up on the f22?
  8. AHHVTEC

well its still kinda a odd swap for the 89 lude i know they make motor mounts now for the swap, so just search around and i will also to try and a wright up
  9. joelaw

joelaw New Member

bet...

cool... i guess i was gonna try that particular engine because i already had it. bad idea i suppose. would that be an easy swap into a '93 del sol s?
  10. AHHVTEC

well do you mean a f series in a delsol? if so then yea its perty simple its not i drop in but you need mounts and some other stuff but it will work
  11. AHHVTEC

and what part of alabam you in
  12. joelaw

joelaw New Member

huntsville, alabama. no i was talkin about the D16Z6. I have a Del Sol S model with a 1.5 in it. thought i might drop the Z6 in it to get a little extra horsepower.
  13. AHHVTEC

yea it will drop right in and plug right up,, and im in hartselle about 20 miles from ya
  14. joelaw

joelaw New Member

cool....

i actually live in arab. didn't know you were from bama. isn't there an import junk yard out that way?
  15. AHHVTEC

naa about he best one around is complete auto its on the other side of huntsville
  16. joelaw

joelaw New Member

is that where i should look for a motor? let me tell you a little about what happened. i had this 89 Lude given to me by a buddy. he moved to st louis for his job was cleanin up his land. the lude had a blown motor when i got it. i've searched high and low for the b20a5 engine that's in it. i was gonna go back stock, but then i got to reading about how bad that particular engine is. like i said. i have nothin in the car and that's why it's my project car. i actually drive the del sol all the time. do you have a clue as to where i can get an engine to fit this thing???? i check everyone within a 50 mile radius.
  17. AHHVTEC

complete auto might have one but other than that ebay is about all that will have one becuase noboady likes the b series prelude motors
  18. joelaw

joelaw New Member

what about the h22a? think i could find one of those?
  19. AHHVTEC

20. joelaw

joelaw New Member

let me check it out...