'89 Prelude

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

how bout the wiring? did honda use the same wiring harness on both these models?

its gona be the vtec pressure switch and the vtec selnoid switch

the P28 is the ecu i have for it. i have a hayne's repair manual for the 92-95 civic and del sol. the same manual covers both cars. it has both ecu diagrams in the back. that's how i knew A4 is the vtec selnoid. i haven't gotten past the "A" connector. i'm sure i'll find the other one.

Re: your 89 Prelude

Let me enlighten you a little on your 3rd Gen Lude.

The only engine worth swapping into your Lude is the H22. All other B series motors are much harder to make work into the low profile chassis of our 3rd gens.

For more power you will either want to Turbo Charge it, or swap the H22 into your car.

Let me help you with some info that I put together:

This is what I was able to have produced for our cars. The H22 Billet Mount kit

Produced by www.azracemachine.com

Please note this is the project car, and is still under construction, we took care of the clearance issues, but you will need to be considerate of how low you will drop your car. We are still working on the Powersteering, and A/C brackets.

Related links:
**Long H22 Swap Write-up**

**H22 Write up**

**Another H22 write up**

DSCN0587.jpg

Rear Mount
AZH22Rear01.jpg

Tranny mount 1
AZH22Trans1.jpg

Tranny mount 2
AZH22Trans2.jpg

Tranny mount 3
AZH22Trans3.jpg

Tranny mount 4
AZH22Trans4.jpg

Driverside 1
AZH22Driver01.jpg

Driverside 2
AZH22Driver02.jpg

EngineBay.jpg

EngineBay2.jpg

GroundClearance5.jpg

GroundClearance3.jpg

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Sean

Last edited:
well it's done! the B16Z6 got dropped in the del sol. the swap was very easy. i appriciate the great info you all have given. i'll post some pics in a couple of days.

i do have a few more questions about it. what is the best type of muffler/exaust to install with the Z6?

is there any way to boost the power output on the Z6? it's pretty strong as is, but more is always better.

well i would buy a good name brand catback but if your tight on money go to the muffler shop and run some 2 and a quater pipe back to a muffler like a magnaflow

cool cool. let's talk about the lude again. an f22 was mentioned before for the 89 lude. how hard would it be to drop a h22a in it. is it even possible?

yea it will go in there the h and f series will take the same amount of work buy the motor mounts and go from there

cool cool. let's talk about the lude again. an f22 was mentioned before for the 89 lude. how hard would it be to drop a h22a in it. is it even possible?

Joelaw,

Did you read the post I type up earlier? I just showed you what was the best engine to swap into the Lude.

I gave all the info you needed to know on it?

Here is a H22 just freshly dropped into the Lude after this member purchased a set on a group buy that I ran in October last year.

H22Swap025.jpg

H22Swap026.jpg

H22Swap018.jpg

Now I hope this points you in the right direction.

And here is a link to the next group buy I am trying to get started:

2nd H22 motor mount Group Buy??? - Preludepower.com

*Note: These mounts are $500.00 retail, so if you want them cheaper, then you better get in on this next buy.

Sean

no matter what anyone says the h22a swap is the best swap for the buck. I have done the swap and going from a140hp to 200hp is great check out preludepower there you can get the axles, and engine mounts already prefabed. Alot of guys have done this swap and the h22 is vtec so the power band is great, you can pick up a full swap for about 2,000. Trust me if your going to do A SWAP FROM STOCK DO A H22a.

3rd gen swap

ok, first i have to say that the b20a5 is not that bad of a motor, it is a bastard for honda motors but...

i have a 89 jdm lude 2.0 si, i have had it about 2 years now and i love that car it is my favorite car i have owned including a 91 sir crx with a b18c

in my lude i blew the stock b20a5 and was in the same posistion as you trying to find the perfect swap for the car

i am really good friends with a honda engineer and i sat and talked to him for about 6 months and went thru the pros and cons of every motor

the thing with the 3rd gen ludes is the 18 degree slant to the motor this was done on many hondas in japan but they didnt do it much in the states there are two reasons for the lude why they do this 1- it allows better intake and exhaust flow and helps the valves and pistons use gravity to there advantage. hence why the b20 revs up so fast. 2nd reason is to get the zero clearence front end so the front end appears so "thin"

no other motor other than the b21 will continue this slant design into the lude

the h22 swap needs a new hood with more clearance

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i have a b20a5 bolted to a si trans that i had bulit by spoon cost about 1500
it uses the exact same gearing but it is alot stornger and has composite syncros bearings etc

i also have a custom exhaust that is a custom header with the o2 ports on it intead of relocating them bolted to a edelbrock racing b pipe into a magneflow cat and 2.25 inch pipe into a ractive titanium muffler hp gain was about 23

i have a weapon r intake which added about 15 hp

anthor thing we did when we put the new b20 in was take the vaccum bypass valves off your old intake take the componets out so its just a spacer and pu it under your bypass on the new motor seal the holes at the end from the rod and get some longer bolts to put the plenum back on and wham you wil gain about 30-40 hp

i run a 13.22 qm with 302 hp 2 th wheels and have a dyno slip from the dyno shop in san deigo ca and thats is with the mods listed above

here are the best options:

b20a5-not a swap but a GOOD motor cons lacks tq at low end but easily compensated with the right exhaust and intake combo anthor plus of the b20a5 is that is very accepting of boost pressure you can easily boost about 14 psi without "hurting" the motor

b21a-- same as the b20 just boredand frm sleeves greatmotor lots of torque and very responsive no the burning oil that you will always get from a b21 if you get on to much is from the rings burning up on the sleeves cuase they are to strong
simple silution get neww rings duh...
the b21 was specially designed for the 90' states edition lude wich wasthe best lude ever made and to this day still holds the record for a salom track over every other car made for that year not just in its class
so the motor was built to be turboed and when they decided to put in the us a can ludes they decided to leave the turbo off
so get yourself a turbo and the ring problem also goes away

both the b20 and b21 have vctop(variable cam timing-oilpressure) basically it is vtec just engaged by your op intead of your rpms if you will
so it actually tightens your cams in a fashion to provide higher flow in a nutshell

h22 -- to big for the car hard to get in needs new mount new ecu new wiring harness and tranny and cv joints and has a problem with the suspension line up
the power gain is minimal for the effort to get the damn thing in the car
biggest pro for the h22 readily accesible parts were as the b series they dont make a lot of parts for

my suggestion would be either of the b's or a f22c out of a s2000 converted to front wheel and a b18c tranny will bolt but its a pain
but for the money stock will rock

if you need any more help feel free to contact me

ambientmic if you have 302 hp to the wheels you either have a turbo or one hell of a shot of nos

Back