'89 Prelude

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ambientmic, I appreciate your opinion on the matter but I disagree with some of your statements.

First of all, parts for the B20A/B21A are getting low, and rightfully so. There is few enough owners to justfiy maintaining stock on their shelves and after being the project Manager for these mounts and a few others on Preludepower.com - Powered by vBulletin, I understand why it is hard to get aftermarket support for this car versus the other B series motors and cars.

Second, the stock motor is a great and reliable motor to way past 250,000 miles as long as the previous owners or orginial owners maintained their Ludes as stated by their owners manuals. But this motor is only good as it is treated and this means they are usually toast by the time a 16-23 year old decides they want a cheap Honda to mash around in. Then they come on these sites asking questions that seem idiotic and stupid(of you will) about "what can I do to make more power?, can I add vtec?, what kind of mods are there to make it faster?.... and so on and so forth.

These cars were a work of art in their time and still til this day. However; there really is no real support to handle a rush of aftermarket demands once the Honda Tuners get tired of a civic, integra, or Del Sole and start looking else where to be different or try something new.

I personally have loved these cars since the 2nd gen era, because I owned one, and I loved every minute of it until it was crashed by my cousins boyfriend. Then Honda came out with the 3rd gen, and man they really outdid themselves at this point.

You are right about these cars out handling most cars of today and yesteryear.

The reason I decided to go with the H22 project and have them mass produced was due the fact that one, its prelude motor, so keeping it in the family so to say.
Two, the huge aftermarket support for it.
Three, the base power to start off is way over the stock power and it is daily driver power. No need to turbo charge the car when you can swap an H in there and really call it a day. Not to mention the bolt on mods plus tuning that will kick up the power a notch or more.
Four, its the perfect bolt on solution power to weight, engine size, perfect motor all the way around.

Don't get me wrong, I love my JDM B20A, but I wanted there to be another option for us serious 3rd geners. If you are a member of preludepower.com then you will understand what I mean.

The engine itself is only 30 pounds heavier and that has been discussed to death on the forum, so that is really not a problem.

We have two members who have hit the 350-400 wheel horspower on our site and that is with the B20A5. So I do not discount that motor one bit, but it is nice to have the option to put a newer better motor into our chassis, other than our B20A's which are really losing steam on support.

Thank you for your opinion.;)

H22 Project Manager,
Sean

ok so first off i do not have any other mods than what i listed until my new suspension next week which will be the tokico hpk223 kit because my exhaust hangs to low to drop more than an inch or so and i dont want to have to deal with the camber effects. and like i said i have a dyno slip from the dyno shop in sd ca that shows 302.8 hp to the wheels with 278.4 ft lbs of torque

the trick was that honda as with all motors they release there are 2-3 versions as for the b20a5 there were 2 one ment to be bolted to a manuel and the other for a auto trans

now we all know that a transmisson will always lose power because of the moving parts yada yada so my trans that i had made by spoon is the same ratio as the si trans fromm that year except its a close ratio short throw and i paid ALOT for it i hit 144 in fourth but the cost was about 2200

so back to the 2 motors tha manuel edition was 135 hp i belive from roll off and the auto was compensated for the horrid loss in the auto trannys and they made it 210 from the factory but because of us laws for dot honda could not say that both auto/manuel cars varryed in power because of the motor or else they would have been considered exotic(which in my opinion they should still be because they are unlike any other honda ever made and hell its predicessor is so ...)
so my trick is the spoon "zero loss tranny" and a auto motor making 208.. before mods

as for the parts supply there are a limited supply of parts for these 3rd gens because they are old and rare

i live in ridgecrest ca and there is a shop here that i get all my parts for and he can usally get them cheap and fast and there are still just a few parts that he cant get me and that is because nobody makes them

as for the turbo and nitrous..
the b20a5 cant really handle nitrous very well because if you know anything about internal combustion motors they run on a governed law of air and fuel if you run nos on a b20 its slams the compression through the roof to fast and rolls the crank to hard and then out comes the magor defect in this motor
solution clevite bearings about 440 for the set plus labor to install

also downfall to the b20 it cant handle HIGH boost pressure because this is the first motor that haonda made as a zero tolerance head and block design
this motor CANNOT be sleeved so raising the compression is very hard and most likly youll pund your valves at anything over ~14psi

greddy is working on a sts tyoe rear mounted turbo for me that i am paying about 13,000 for r&d and crap but it will be a twin scroll similar to the evo 9 mrs turbo based off of the turbonetics t28 with electronic boost control and crap when it is finished after ecu and crap i should be sitting either just short of or a little over 400 hp

like i said i spent 6+ months with a engineer from honda to pick my swap

i love the h22 but i dont like the cost to put the damn thing in

all together i have spent just short of 5000 on the car as it sits including the 1200 i paid to buy the car

i have a b20a5 auto sitting at my house complete the had some internal work cam and bearings but i spun the bearings new clevites about 440 i will sell for about 500 obo

mike harper
proud 3rd gen onwer(best honda i have ever owned):)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i have a b20a5 bolted to a si trans that i had bulit by spoon cost about 1500
it uses the exact same gearing but it is alot stornger and has composite syncros bearings etc

i also have a custom exhaust that is a custom header with the o2 ports on it intead of relocating them bolted to a edelbrock racing b pipe into a magneflow cat and 2.25 inch pipe into a ractive titanium muffler hp gain was about 23

i have a weapon r intake which added about 15 hp

anthor thing we did when we put the new b20 in was take the vaccum bypass valves off your old intake take the componets out so its just a spacer and pu it under your bypass on the new motor seal the holes at the end from the rod and get some longer bolts to put the plenum back on and wham you wil gain about 30-40 hp

i run a 13.22 qm with 302 hp 2 th wheels and have a dyno slip from the dyno shop in san deigo ca and thats is with the mods listed above

this has gotta be the biggest crock of shit i've ever read.. Ractive, Weapon R.. where did you get these killer parts, Pepboys.. ?? now please quit filling peoples head with your ignorance..

i live in ridgecrest ca and there is a shop here that i get all my parts for and he can usally get them cheap and fast and there are still just a few parts that he cant get me and that is because nobody makes them

greddy is working on a sts tyoe rear mounted turbo for me that i am paying about 13,000 for r&d and crap but it will be a twin scroll similar to the evo 9 mrs turbo based off of the turbonetics t28 with electronic boost control and crap when it is finished after ecu and crap i should be sitting either just short of or a little over 400 hp

Ridgecrest huh.. bring that 300 hp prelude over here to Bakersfield and let me hand you your ass..

so 300hp from a couple of mods.. and with that hella custom rear turbo that cost $13,000 is only gonna give you another 100hp, please..

:kick::asshat::nobreed:

Now I am beginning to wonder if someone is just spitting a lot of game and actually has no proof to back it up.

I don't know you and I would have believed you had you not gone and said that you are spending $13,000 on the R&D for the STS style turbo setup, when it costs way less than that to put an H22 in our chassis.

Maybe I am reading your posts wrong, but for you to hit 300hp on bolts ons that do not exist for the 3rd and that to my knowledge has not even been attempted is a pretty loud claim

I am always open to new ideas, but please do not insult my intellegence with bitting off more than you can chew. Just be honest and don't exaggerate.

H22 Project Manager,
Sean

Prelude

Well we have the same problem my boyfriend wants to trade out motors and also put turbo. But um if you go to a body shop or even a muffler shop they should be able to help you find a engine that is upgraded. But i have a question we have buy a new muffler also be cause are;s is back firing what do you think we should get like a str8 pipe or what?

b20a5 A/T with 200HP

i know this is an old post ...but was this guy for real is that true
auto trans vs 5spd....auto trans motors having 60 more horses to make up for the trans slipping....???some body must know this is bs right ???

i feel foolish even asking ..but if its true ???
i'm off to find a used a/t 3rd gen
Thanks

Well we have the same problem my boyfriend wants to trade out motors and also put turbo. But um if you go to a body shop or even a muffler shop they should be able to help you find a engine that is upgraded. But i have a question we have buy a new muffler also be cause are;s is back firing what do you think we should get like a str8 pipe or what?

Christ, if you're going to bring back a thread from two years ago at least do it with a coherent post...

i know this is an old post ...but was this guy for real is that true
auto trans vs 5spd....auto trans motors having 60 more horses to make up for the trans slipping....???some body must know this is bs right ???

i feel foolish even asking ..but if its true ???
i'm off to find a used a/t 3rd gen
Thanks

Did you miss the part where everyone told him that he's completely full of shit?

whats with the illiterates lately?

and why would a body shop or a muffler shop have an "upgraded" engine?

i just picked up a 89 lude... motor is smoked... looks like a replacement motor shipped to bama is $1000, how much better is the h22 than the stock and how much more difficult is it to drop in?

i just picked up a 89 lude... motor is smoked... looks like a replacement motor shipped to bama is $1000, how much better is the h22 than the stock and how much more difficult is it to drop in?

Ok let me give you a small run down.

H22 = 195hp - 161tq - Can be tuned to pull more power in NA form

B20a5 = 135hp - 127tq - Can be tuned but you will not see more than 150whp on these motors. And cost way more than building an H22 in the same form.

Let me know when you are ready to buy the mounts because I am the one who had them made and sell them.

Email me at: onefunrydperformance@q.com

Sean

Last edited:
thanks.. lot more juice in the h22... i think i'm going to buy the b20 unfortunately and just get it back running for a second car, just something to tinker w/ .. i'm sure it will drive me crazy and i'll have to either start w/ mods or sell and upgrade...

can't really stomach buying the stock motor.. so the h22 it will be.. what is the deal w/ this engine a "normal" on the swap, tranny etc....vs. h22? JDM ACCORD ENGINE F20B VTEC Euro-R Type R Motor H22 H23

thanks

My previous post makes no sense..sorry..here's what i was trying to ask

can't really stomach buying the stock motor.. so the h22 it will be.. what is the deal w/ this engine- JDM ACCORD ENGINE F20B VTEC Euro-R Type R Motor H22 H23
vs. a "normal" h22on the swap, tranny etc....?
thanks

The motor install would be done the exact same way as an H22...

admittedly very green to all of this... so i apologize up front... there seem to be a few engines that work in this car.. the f20 and the h22, everyone seems to like the h22 (lower torque, similar hp?) then there are allthe s and r types,.. the euros... honestly..this i really like.. so if i can score a euro.. which one seems to be the best? do i need to buy the motor and tranny, shift cables etc.. .. i swear i think i'm going to scrap this 89 and take the $450 beating.. and go for a '93.. bummed

Back