1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

89 rex si stuck in 2nd

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by Riley37, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Riley37

Riley37 Member

I am about to buy an 89 rex si, for $100, yup $100. Motors strong, interior is decient, body needs some tlc. But right now it won't shift out of 2nd gear. The clutch engages fine, but the shifter is stiff and does not have that smooth throw feel.

I'm thinking linkage, but don't know for sure...

What do you guys think? Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Senior Member

does the transmission work at all? Does it put power to the wheels? You could test drive it in 2nd only :lol: That might give you a better idea of whats wrong.

3. Riley37

Riley37 Member

I did, and it does. Seems to hook up just fine with the power you would expect from starting in 2nd gear.

4. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

Can you shift from 1st to 2nd?

or is it constantly stuck in 2nd gear?

5. Riley37

Riley37 Member

stuck in 2nd gear. The shifter moves but it does not change gears

6. 88bluehf

88bluehf Senior Member

i think your transmission might have either ate up the rear bearing for the auxliary shaft or possibly the shift fork. my suggestion is since you got this car for so cheap you should just go ahead and drop about two bills for a si tranny at a salvage yard. just be sure to get a si from 88-91. it will cost you more to repair the problem you have than to get a cheap as d tranny. be sure to get an si though as the axle splines are different on hf's, dx's,and std's. i had this problem with a y21 when it was rebiult the snap ring was not put onto the auxillary bearing and the bearing had way to much play and let the shaft move too much..thus messing up the bearing and multiple other pieces. i dont think it could be the external shift linkage ...if it is it would really...reallly reallly suprise me

7. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

sounds like dat der shift ferk in da tranzmizzion...

Seriously a friend of mine had the same problems...

8. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Senior Member

no, a DX has the same splines and a DX tranny will work.

9. Riley37

Riley37 Member

ok, that really sucks! So, can I use a DX tranny or not? I noticed on the Transmission spec post under the reference section, that gear ratios are the same. And they both appear to be L3 trannys. So correct me if I am wrong the only question is, are the splines the same or not?

where the hell can you find a tranny for $200? The best price I found was $495 for the tranny. Salvage yard in STL does not have the tranny and if they did, they'd over charge. Shit, they wanted $50 for the LH cv/axle for this car. I can get a rebuilt one with a warrenty for $60.00. If know where or of someone who I can get this tranny let know.

Thanks

P.s. is there anyway to check to make that's what's wrong?

10. ssl2k

ssl2k Senior Member

I can get you a dx tranny that is laying in my garage for $225 (that is shipped). It is in good conditin and has been sitting for months.

and im pretty sure that your stock axles will work.

You wont beable to tell what is wrong iwth your tranny until it apart and you cna look inside your tranny.

the only good the L3 marking is to know that it is a dseries tranny. You can't tell anything aobut the tranny just by the tag. they are pretty much useless.

the only diff between the trannys is the final drive, and that isn't even too much, it will be a little bit slower but nothing too bad. You also get better gas mileage and lower freeway rpms.

Right now I'm working on a zc hybrid ( zc 1-4 , hf 5th, si final drive) Going to be awesome for acceleration and highway :)

let me know soon about the tranny cuz there is another guy that wants it..

i'll beable to ship it out as soon as you need it

nathan
    nathan@sunfox.net

11. Riley37

Riley37 Member

cool, thanks

I will know later than Monday, if that works for you.

Thanks again.

12. ssl2k

ssl2k Senior Member

yeah no problem

hit me with an email and i'll return w/ contact info and stuff

nathan

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted