89 to 87 SI eng/trans swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

AceMcguyver

If I put an 89 CRX SI engine and transmission in an 87 SI chassis, will everything bolt up correctly including the axles? I've read I may need to change the trans mount, which is fine since I have one from a 91 CRX that I think has the right alignment, what I'm concerned about is the axles fitting correctly. Is there anything else that needs to be considered? I have all the electricial for the 89 including the ECU and all harnesses. I've heard this is not an easy swap but I already have the engine, all I need is the transmission (I think) to make this work. Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to get this car on the road as cheaply as possible so I can either use it or sell it.

you will have to fabricate all of the engine and transmission mounts - the 89 engine has a mount on the driver's side in the center of the timing cover where the 87 mount is on the front of the block toward the radiator - the 87 transmission has a mount on the rear in a different location from the 89, does not have a mount on the front like the 89 but has a mount on the front that connects to the passenger side frame rail - the 89 transmission does not have a mount on the front at the passenger side but instead has it on top of the transmission - you will need to make a custom shift linkage - you will need custom axles - you will need to do a bunch of wiring as the 89 engine uses electronic ignition advance where the 87 has a vacuum advance ignition - the 89 engine will not bolt up to the 87 transmission, just in case you were considering that

Good information, I actually found a How to on Red Pepper Racing.com that shows how to do this step by step. I can do it, but I think it's more work than this car deserves. Thanks for the informative reply.

Back