90-91 Style Prelude Si

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BodyDroppedNikes

...PENDEJO....
VIP
ok i dont know much about these style Preludes, but what can you do to them? what swaps (if any) are available for them? thanks

Ah. The third gen. This was the car that first gave me the thrill of driving a honda. What can you do to them you ask? Well, just listen up because there is quite a bit.

If you have an SI, then, skip the next two paragraphs.

All depends on whether you have an S or Si model. If its the S model, you'll want to do an engine swap because this motor is almost worth as much as the oil you put into it. A couple of swaps are available for this chassis, including, any F-series motor, i.e., F22A1, F22A2, F22B, etc. Also, any H-series motor, such as, the H22A1 or H23. You'll be able to pick up motor mounts, axles, shiftlinkages and throttle cable adapter from PLACERACING.com. This however is the expensive swap, but if you DO go with any one of these swaps, the possibilities will be endless (if you've got the cash).

If you want to go with a third gen motor, such as, a B20A5 or a B21A1, all you'll need would be the engine, ecu and tranny. This can be had for about a $1000 dollars. There is also a JDM version of this motor the produces about 5 more hp than the B21. However, locating this motor in the States CAN be difficult, but you could get lucky.

"The HEAD."
With a B20A5 or B21A1, you'll be able to find Cams, throttle bodies and ecu's at GUDEperformance.com. They also sell complete head packages that include a port/polished head, cams, a throttle body and tuned ecu for about $1600. Of course, you can buy these items seperate. Having a head port/polished will free up additional horse power. IF you are going for an all-motor engine, you can also have your head milled to raise compression. ++TAKE CAUTION++ Having to head milled too much will leave to little clearance for the pistons and valves. consult a machining expert for proper perameters on this procedure. Another way to raise compression is to have custom pistons made by JE Pistons. Any B-series cam gear will work, such as, AEM, SKUNK 2, TODA, etc. B18B1 Valve springs have also been said to work, but I've never seen this. Ferria has a set for these motors. Most fuel component companies have fuel system components for these motors. Check out B&M, STR, VENOM, AEM or any other companies such as the ones listed. As for juel injectors, DSM 4G63 (Mitsubishi Eclipse, Talon and Laser) injectors will work.
(blue top Injector recommended, Because they flow 450cc)

"The BLOCK"
These B-series motors a notoriously weak in the bottom end. They have been refered to as the "The worst motor to be produced by HONDA." This can be true if not properly built. One thing that rings true for ANY motor is that going the way of N/A instead of Turbo, will cost you. Unfortunetly, with these motors, it will be a lot more. I recommend boosting your B-series much like the rest of us.
As if Honda planned for these engines to be pressurized, the compression was left very low. With the B20A5, compression came at a measely 9.0:1, were as, the B21 is rated at 9.5:1, thus, allowing far more boost than Vtec B-series motors that usually rate at 10.5:1 or more. And the fact that these engines have a displacement of 2 liters or more, leads to high torque numbers. With a properly tuned engine and an engine that is in good condition, 15 psi can be obtained laying down 200 WHP and 172 LB. ft. of torque, THATS AT THE WHEELS!!! With this said, there is no aftermarket turbo available, meaning this will be a D.I.Y turbo set up. Custom turbo systems can easily be bought through a turbo shop, or you can purchase all the turbo components seperate:
B-series TURBO manifold, T3 turbocharger or what ever turbo the flange on the manifold excepts.
Vortec FMU, Custom Intercooler piping and downpipe, Custom oil lines and fuel lines and Higher volume fuel pump. This is not everything you need, just an idea of what it takes, and there is more. For a complete list, visit Ludespeed.com
You can have your factory rods SHOT-PEENED and pistons sprayed with a high temp coating, as well as, getting some aftermarket piston rings made. Its a good Idea to have your crank balanced and knife-edged as well. You can also use B16 pistons and H23 rods in this engine but the wrist pin holes will have to be machined slightly and the block honed. Also, I would go as far as to have to intake manifold Extrud-Honed for better air flow
Everything depends on the amount of Mullah you want to dish out. I would recommend TURBO because of the simplicity of the set up and of course...the cost. I'm not entirely sure you would want to pump Four or Five thousand into a car of this age but I say "do what you can." This is, in my opinion, the funnest Prelude to drive compared with other ludes (If you have the power).

"The Suspension"
Tokico, Kyb and Bilstien make struts and shocks for this model. Neuspeed, H&R and Suspension Techniques make springs. Weapon-R and Ground Control make coil-overs. #1 and Cusco make strut-tower bars. Intraks makes camber kits.

"The Body"
Online performance.com has an exceptional body kit for this car. Also, you will find that other companies such as, Erebuni, Kaminari and Xenon.

If you want more info, you can visit PRELUDE POWER.COM and NOPI.com.

There is much more, so if You want to email me you can: Nathan_atwell@hotmail.com if you need any help, and it will be a good Idea to get a manual if you plan on doing some of your own work.

GOOD LUCK!!!

ludespeed.com use to sell turbo kits looks like they do not anymore though

I swapped an H22a into my 89 lude, It's fully built with a turbo and it makes 415 whp on 93 octane @17psi daily driven.

you can see it under mysetup on www.teaminterlude.com
look under Ima2nr
I also have an article on the complete swap on the same site.
I love to down shift and out-accelerate all the muscle cars that want to rev-on-me! they never see it comming! and they probably still dont understand how I leave 'em like they are standing still. :D

Back