90 accord auto tranny

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

91accordlx

does anybody know where i would be able to get a 90 accordlx 2dr auto tranny relatively cheap around cleveland ohio or shipped for a decent price all my gears blew out ????????

oh and by the way its a f22a1 if anybody needed the engine type

i don't know i put it in park and the car keeps going i try all the gears and it just revs it sounds like the tranny

Well for starters, the 2 dr/4 dr thing doesn't make a difference. Any 90-93 Accord tranny will bolt up and work fine, and I haven't tried it myself so I can't say for sure but a 94-97 might work as well. I put a 95 OBDI tranny in my 96 OBDII Accord with 0 problems. Finding one at a salvage yard should be no problem.

I had an Aamco tech tell me that with Hondas it's a buyer beware on changing the fluid on an older tranny. Supposedly there is a mesh screen filter inside the tranny that cannot be serviced. One it gets plugged up, you lose flow and burn it up. So, you can choose to change the fluid on a new one, just know when you do it, the detergents in the ATF-Z1 could break sludge loose (if the new one's been neglected) and then you plug the screen up even faster. Heat is an auto tranny's worst enemy. Also make sure the radiator isn't just totally corroded out around the transmission cooler section, that could contribute too and if you leave it alone and put a new tranny in you could burn the new one up right away too.

That's my two cents worth, and of course use the Honda ATF-Z1 from the dealer, don't put 10+ hrs into swapping trannies and then skimp on a few bucks, it only takes 3 quarts, 4 if you're swapping because you lose some. Also, replace the rear main seal on the engine and the input shaft seal on the tranny. Let me know if you want details on doing those if you haven't before and I'll help you out.

Back