90 accord help with engine check light

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bstaralways

hey,

I have a 1990 honda accord and i've searched all over the internet for info on the big "engine check light", whenever this comes on it doesn't start up at all, although in the winter (when it's cold outside) it starts of without any problems. No tech that lives around me can possibly figure out what the problem is (during the summer). I was told by one however to check the pcm, and i did, and then found the codes for it on the internet. I don't know if this is righ, or if i read it right, i just counted the flashes (red led light) on the pcm board, and here is what i came up with, (these numbers kept on repeating).

first one was
1.) code number 1, and i found out that it was the oxygen sensor (it blinked 1 time and a long pause)
2.) code number 2, and i found out that it was also a oxygen sensor "B" problem (blinked 2 times)
3.) code number 7, this was the TP sensor, (thorottle position). (blinked 7 times).
4.) code number 8, this was the TDC Sensor (Top Dead Center).(blinked 8 times).
5.) code number 13, this was the Baro Sensor (Atmospheric pressure). (a long 1 blink and then 3 short blinks)
6.) code number 14, IAC valve (Idle Air Control). (a long 1 blinke and 4 short blinks).

And again, this problem only happens during the summer, but recently it's been getting worse. I am not a very "cary" person, so i don't know a lot about stuff, this is just from looking at the internet, and today i also noticed that when i turned the keys to one step before start, after a while the whole car shook (engine part) and then stopped. It was like a feeling of something dropping. Am i going to have to change all those parts? I of course will show this to the tech person. Please help, and any responses you have i will show that to the tech too, or shall i just scrap this car, because i took it to the honda dealer and they said a faulty pcm costs 1100 dollars, that's just how much i bought this car for.

I also read somewhere it could be a faulty main relay, since there is clicking going on around the steering wheel and the main gear box, i will check on that and see if it works.

thanks,
bstaralways
:ph34r:
please help.

Last edited:
Main relay under dash - Your description of whjat exactly the problem is --- is not very clear. Do you mean the car will not start when its hot or starts breifly then stalls?

It won't start at all :huh:, i've had a friend who had the same problem but his started and then stalled (like there wasn't enough gas or something) and he changed the starter and it was fine, but mine it won't start at all, the sound when it's trying to start goes on for ever and ever. I've changed both the starters and the distributer and I am guessing that wasn't the problem.

thanks
:ph34r:
bstaralways

I also notice a clicking when i press on the brake on the gear box (where the prnd1 is). The car started this morning and didn't have a problem, I didn't change anything, just does this when it's hot outside (around over 70 degrees f) but the error codes were still being displayed, also my car shakes when i put it into park (like too much load for the engine).

dude your best bet would be get a main relay. its under the dash . you will have to take out your cruise control box to get to it and it will be bolted up in a dark red case. when it gets warm outside the solder joins tend to get loose and lose connection, and when its cold the solder shrinks. you can find one at a junk yard and pay next to nothing for one. but that would be the first thing i would do

good luck

hmm, i went to auto zone and a person there told me to get a new ecu (300 bucks) but i will try and change the main relay, even though i'm not the best car person. If this doesn't fix the problem i will get back to this topic.

thanks anyways,
bstaralways

yea....well you dont really need to know bout cars to change this parts.....the big metal box thing thats bolted under your dash is the cruise control box.....take that out and with a flash light look up and you will see it bolted on the top

Back