90 Accord Just Died Last Night... Quick Diagnosis, Please.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JohnnyWadd

Okay... I have my opinion as to what just happened, but I'm gonna keep it to myself for now. I don't want people just blindly agreeing with me. I'd like to get some opinions as to what just happened, free from my influence. The car in question is a 1990 Accord with a 2.2L engine.

So, anyway... here I was, Christmas morning, driving along without a care in the world. Then, all of a sudden, my car quits running. It was like someone just turned the key off while I was cruising down the road. I coasted into a parking spot and tried to figure out what was what. The first thing I did was try to restart it. It tries to run... it just can't. It'll fire, but it immediately dies. Stays running for literally one second. No matter how many times I try, it'll start immediately - just like it always has - then die the second I disengage the starter.

Funny thing, though... if I don't release the key (i.e. keep the starter engaged), it'll stay running until I do. But, the second I release the key, she dies.

What do you think, guys?! If you can help me out here, I'll be forever in your debt.

Merry Christmas to me, huh?!

Probably weak fuel pump. I was going to suggest something electrical(like ignition switch or relay); but I've never seen those go out while driving.

It sounds like something electrical maybe in the distributer... IMO I know a Technician that has been working on honda's for over 30 years and has never replaced a fuel pump or heard of them going bad... just my two .02 but hey I could be wrong on that you just never know any more..

Before anybody says anything, it's not the battery and it's not the alternator. Something is cutting either the fuel supply or the fire when I disengage the starter (i.e. turn the key from Start to Run). I'm leaning towards the former. I don't think this is a fire problem. I think it's a fuel issue. So, here are some ideas:

Fuel Pump? Maybe. But, it starts up just fine. It just won't stay running for more than a second unless I keep the starter engaged.

Throttle Position Sensor? Maybe. I think this is more likely than the fuel pump. I also get terrible fuel economy (less than 20 mpg in an Accord) and a very subtle idle surge at highway speeds. The tach will creep up about 150 rpm, then the car will hiccup when it drops back down. It's annoying.

Ignition Switch? Maybe. If it's bad, then the car might think I shut it off, which would definitely cut the fuel supply.

What do you guys think? There are three ideas... I'm open to any others you might have.

coil, ICM or one of the other sensors in the Distributor. pull the dizzy off and check for oil in it this is a bad problem for all hondas...

A guy told me to try something... he said, "Start the car, but don't let go of the key once it starts. Turn it back slowly until the starter disengages. If the car runs, the switch is bad."

So, I did it... it happened just like he said. The car stays running as long as I hold the key just ahead of the Run position. Once I return the key to the Run position, it dies.

Looks like my ignition switch is bad...

...does anybody argue this idea?

There's a way to check that; turn on the stereo/auxiliaries. When you put it back in II and the stereo, dash lights, etc. still work, it's not the ignition switch. I've had a couple instances with a bad ignition switch and they all did this(total loss of power in II).

Honestly I've had two bad fuel pumps and they have the exact same problem described. They pretty much could not build enough fuel pressure to run on their own. Using a fuel pressure gauge will help you figure this one out easily(hook up to the service port on fuel filter). A messy way to check is to loosen the service port(possibly wrap with a towel); have someone prime it and see how fast it came out. In my cases, the fuel pump still worked but fuel came out VERY slowly; and replacing the pump solved that problem.

Back