90 b18a1 swap 89 crx si axles crunched??????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pappaj

I just completed my first swap. I have a few problems but one worries me. My car is lowered about 1.5" and I used the stock integra axles from a 90 teg. I read that these axles are ok to use, and I have also read that you can't use them if your car is lowered. My first test drive besides the guttless low end and the slipping clutch, my car had horrible shake that started at about 20km/hr went away above 110km/hr. When I got home I popped the inner cv boot off and found that the little guide plates on the cv bearings were smashed. The only thing I can think of that would break these is if the axles are bottoming out the inner cv joint. The axles I used I've had lying around along with the motor for about 5 years. I repacked the boots with grease so I know they were not broken before hand. I hope someone has some knowledge on this subject that they could pass along.

ive also heard you shouldnt lower too much with these axles,,and i too think i have a broken axle,so my guess would be to raise the car up a little and get new axles

did you remove the dust rings from inside your hubs. when they're out they allow the axles a little bit more room to slide into the hub, and thus preventing them from binding up. my hatch w/ a b18b1 is lowered to where i can only get a finger between the top of the tire and the fender, and i don't have issues with axles making funny noises or braking. so.. if you have a da intermediate shaft, and da axles there shouldn't be an issue.

I have about one finger space above my tire aswell. 16" rims with40 series tires. There is no way the car is going up. I think it sits perfect right now. I wonder if the hasport axles are shorter. And I did remove the dust ring. I am afraid to buy new axles and have that happen again.

Ive never heard of this problem, my car has about a 3-3.5in drop and I havent had problems with the axles. :dunno:

Which axles are you using. I have to check to see which tranny I have. I have no idea why they self destructed.

I bought replaced the axles I got a set of 90 integra axles for 99$ plus shipping brand new. I've put about 500kms on them and they seem to be holding up. I still get a shake a about 120km/h and it goes away at about 160 km/h. I put a new set of rims/tires on the car so I going to try to get them to re-balance them. I think the cheap axles are not balanced (maybe)??? Other then that my new swap runs pretty good.

check your bushings on your strut brace, its the ones that go from you lower control arm to the front cross-member. if they are loose or very old upgrade to polyurethen.

Yesterday I got out of the car and looked at the rim and noticed that one of the weights had fallen onto the other weight and was stuck there on and angle??????? I have no idea how it could have got there. I pulled the second weight of and now the shake is not as bad. I'm going to take them in to get re-balanced.

Back