90 civic dx - rings, main bearings

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

desol

Hey guys...thought i'd ask another quick question.

How tough is it to do the rings and bearings on a d15b2?
Do you have to pull the motor...or can you just lift it up and drop the guts out the bottom?

What kind of cost should i be looking at for a shop to do this job?

I don't need anything more powerful...but it's using oil...so i think it needs rings.

Maybe a jdm is easier/better overall solution?

Thanks for any advice. :)

D.

i posted about this a while back.. with that engine, it would probably just be cheaper (and easier) to swap it out for a newer one the actual work involved in re-building the engine probably isnt worth the engine. you can order another D-series engine for between $200 and $500. i dont know how much a shop would charge.. but i figure, if you can get more power for relatively the same price.. why not!?

then again.. im always looking for a bit more power..

just my $.02

Having some more power would be good........but then i'm looking at a transmission...new axles...ecu...etc...

It could get expensive with a swap...i just figured it might easy to do the rings...to stop the oil usage....and another burnt exhaust valve....

- Are these jdm engines as good as they say....60k or whatever? That's probably my best bet. Anyone have any horror stories with jdm?

D.

Having some more power would be good........but then i'm looking at a transmission...new axles...ecu...etc...

It could get expensive with a swap...i just figured it might easy to do the rings...to stop the oil usage....and another burnt exhaust valve....

- Are these jdm engines as good as they say....60k or whatever? That's probably my best bet. Anyone have any horror stories with jdm?

if your switching from your stock D15, to swap in a D16a6 (or for the JDM version the SOHC ZC) there is NOTHING new you have to buy, as long as you use the old intake manifold, & injection system. its a straight swap, litterally nothing else you need to buy. it bolts right up to the transmission, and all the electrical connectors plug right up no problem!

and if you want a bit more power, and better gas mileage.. you can convert to MPFI from the stock DPFI, which is a bit of wiring, a different ECU(i think) and a differing intake manifold and TB. if you can find all of that together, you can pick it up for less than $200, and hte work involved isnt that hard.

I threw a JDM engine in my hatch a lil while back, this same swap actually, and it ran GREAT.. it ended up snapping a rod due to a stupid mistake, but there wasnt anything wrong with the engine itself, it was just a user error.

Crazy. How can the ecu work for a bigger engine? You would think it needs different fuel specs...etc.

So with the d16a6 jdm ...the ecu AND DPFI will be fine? Your sure?

...The axles won't snap or something crazy? lol

It sounds too good to be true :)

D.

Last edited:
Yes, you can use all the old electronics if you use your own manifolds on the D16A6. You'll lose some power though. It's still best to convert to MPFI.

lol no, you dont gotta worry about snapping any axles with that at all :)

i'd recommend converting to MPFI if you can, but you dont have to

What about if i wanna use the d15b vtec? This unit has 130 horses...and isn't much money...

D.

ps- you guys know of a good source for jdm engines in canada? I'm in calgary.
It seems american jdm prices are alot lower than canadian prices?

Last edited:
i believe.. for the D15 Vtec.. that you have to convert to MPFI for sure, and you have to wire in the Vtec. Im pretty sure you'd need a different ECU aswell, but idk.

Hmotorsonline.com is a common place on here to get engines from. im pretty sure they'd send to canada, but idk for sure. They're prices arent bad, and they guaruntee the engines and the sensors

Last edited:
im using the PM6 on my honda. with the ZC setup.. idk if theres a better ECU for it, but the PM6 works great for me

What car do you have Mustang? I have a 90 civic and i assume i just plug my current wiring harness....into the new ecu...then make any other wiring changes...

I saw some other guy at another forum who sells the wiring harness adaptors for changing the mpfi for this swap.

D.

Last edited:
i have an '89 civic DX.

the old harness plugs right into the new ECU. then there is some wiring you have to do to convert to MPFI.. lemme see if i can find you a link..

https://hondaswap.com/swap-articles/dpfi-mpfi-writeup-49557/
thats the writeup from this site. it's pretty basic stuff.

the things you'll need to buy are.. ECU, MPFI engine harness, and an injector resistor box. and if your new engine doesnt come with a MPFI intake manifold, TB, fuel rail, and injectors, you've gotta buy that stuff too. if you go through HMotorsonline.com, they're engines come with that stuff. other places, you'll want to be sure.

if you have any more questions, feel free to PM me, or ask more on the site :)

Cool.

Thanks alot man...

I'll pm...if i have any other questions.

D.

Last edited:
you'll need the harness off of an engine that has MPFi. mainly just for the injector plugs and the resistor box. if you can find just hte plugs, then you dont need the harness, but when i looked for plugs, i couldnt find any.. other than a junkyard which would work.. but they tried to charge me for the harness when all i wanted to take was the plugs..

Hmm...could be tough to find that harness. I wonder how much it is...

D.

i found mine on ebay.. i got it, along with the Resistor box for $100 shipped.. or you can find one at a junkyard for about the same price. they're not so hard to find

yeah.. e-bay didnt have anything.. and niether does ANYWHERE else lol.

where/ how could i go about getting my PM6 chipped like that?!

Back