90 civic w/ LS motor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rc76

Hey, im new to these forums, but this place seems to be a pretty good resource for honda swap information. ive already done a lot of searching and browsing around trying to find the info i want and just came up with nothing, so here is my question. i have heard than an LS swap is one of the easiest swaps to do into my 1990 civic si. am i wrong? please let me know if there is an easier swap that will yield the same or more power, and if you know where it's at - link me to the info on whats involved in swapping in this engine. thank you very much.

all i kno is that i have an LS in my ef and it seems that its easy to make legal and the only other engine that i see a lotta ppl put in their ef's besides that B18A(LS) is the B16 SiR or w.e... from japan?? not too sure but those are most of the engines i hear that are in ef's.. but some ppl are able (because they have either more money or more knowledge) to put in B18C (GSR??) and H22's in their ef's.. and yeah thats all i kno

Yes, the LS (b18a1) is an easy swap into the EF chassis. You will need a few things to do the change over however.

Firstly, with any b-series swap in an EF, you will need motor mounts. I highly suggest http://hasport.com. Billet alluminum, and I've never heard of them breaking.

Now, since you have an Si, you are lucky. The wiring for the b18 will fit and so will the axles. All you need to do is drop in the motor using the custom mounts, wire it up using your STOCK harness, use the 90-91 teg axles, and plug in the LS ECU.

Originally posted by Jeef@Aug 16 2005, 11:13 AM
DOHC ZC?
[post=540714]Quoted post[/post]​

The DOHC ZC will bolt right in, but a b18a1 is around the same price and a better investment. More parts available for a b-series. Although you will have to buy axles, trans, mounts, shift linkage, ECU, etc etc..

I'd stick with the B.. I did stick with the B.

I would do the zc over a b series stock for stock. I would do a b20 or b16 over the b18

Ls motors are fun though. I had a boosted stock LS and that thing hauled ass.

LS yO!! you might wanna check my thread out tho.. cuz theres this part of the engine mount.. well actualy the part that connects it to the chassis that is said to crack easily... i kno this because i went to the junkyard and looked for that piece and the guy told me that alotta honda's rip or crack that lil piece because of either sucky ass engine mounts or just too much power for the chassis.. i got mines welded up tho :)

If you go LS, make sure you get an obd0 (90-91) because that makes everything much easier. I made the mistake of getting a 92 and had to buy a whole lot of parts that came with the motor because they wouldn't work. And also, having just done that exact swap myself, I can tell you it's not as easy as just mounts and axles, you'll find a lot of stuff along the way that you need, and end up spending more money then you planned on. just my opinion

so what i understand is that because i have an si, i will be able to use the stock wiring harness, right? but i will have to get ridiculously expensive motor mounts and integra axles? is there a cheaper motor mount option, the motor isn't really gonna get modified, just lookin for a little more power than my quickly dying 1.6. and 90sihatch, what other types of things did you end up having to buy?

you want an ls thats obd 0 i got the obd1 and im still having trouble even whith the ecu jumper harness. my advice is stick with the obd 0 ls thats just me though. make sure you get:

shift linskage (modify stock, hasport, az race machine, j-spec, etc)
axels
clutch cable (your old one will no longer reach)
ls throtle cable
mounts (hasport, j-spec, etc)
ecu (not too sure if you need it for obd-0)
i used the original lower radiator hose and ls upper radiator hose.
anyone else want to help him out?...
my 2 cents.

there are a shit load of options for your car...
it all depends on your budget...

first off, whats your knowledge and mechanical skill level?

if you want a cheap swap go with the d16z6 sohc vtec for 130 hp
the dohc zc will yield about 140, but lower torque
the b18 will yield 130-140 but requires more work than a D series swap...

if you want cheaper mounts look into HCP, not as nice as hasport, but good for the budget

if your SI motor is still good you could also look into a cheap turbo setup...

Can I get my axles, shift linkage and ECU, from a 90 Integra for my 90 Civic Hatch EF???

You'll have to cut and weild the shift linkage to fit unless to manage to get some EF SiR shift linkage.
I also beleive Hasport makes custom shift linkage if you can make it yourself.
The axles and ECU will work though. I'd suggest ordering your linkage with your mounts unless you know someone that can make some.

hasport mounts are worth the money from a performance standpoint, but are a little rough on the ride. I have them in my crx with a b16a, seems to hook up really good with the stiff mounts.

LS swap into your car.

Easy.

Parts needed:
B18A (90-91 Integra)(Complete-Tranny, Dizzy, I.M., E.M., the works.)
Axles (90-93 Integra)
Clutch Cable(90-93 Integra)
Speedometer Cable (90-93 Integra)
Throttle Cable (90-93 Integra)
ECU (90-91 Integra)
Motor Mount (Aftermarket)
Shift Linkage (Aftermarket)

Your wiring harness will all hook-up. You will have one sensor on the back of the block that won't connect. It isn't needed. You will need to remove the front motor mount bracket on the front crossmember, you wont use that mount anymore. Also, you will need to hammer the subframe a little for your alternator pulley to clear. And as always I would suggest routine maintanance while the motor is out, belts, hoses, gaskets, pumps and plugs. Things like that.

I'm pretty sure thats about it. It's super easy, if you can turn a wrench, you can swap a Honda. And ask questions.
Good Luck Soldier. :thumbsup:

so some of you guys say it's better to stick w/ a obd0 ls motor for the ef. what would be the bads if a obd2 ls motor was in? what else would it need?

you run the obd2 ls at obd0. there are no real "bads" its a better engine so-to-speak. has a tad more power, bigger intake ports... better cams and intake manifold as well

so how would this work, say you put a b18b engine in the ef... now do you use the LS engine harness and plug it to the EF wiring harness? i don't know much bout the wiring, thanks for explainin'.

Back