90 crx hf 1.5l d15b6 help please

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

zootel

I have a 1990 CRX HF with the D15B6 or 1.5l with a manuel Transmission and i am trying to get more out of this car. There is not a lot of selection around my area as far as parts.I am thinking on trying to chip the ECU. I already have installed the following:

cold air intake (2.5 inch)
ss header and 2.5 inch exuast to an N1 burnt tip turbo muffler (open baffel)
10 mm plug wires
NGK V groove spark plugs
new oem distributor cap
new oem rotor bug
short shifter
38mm stering wheel
17 inch alun mag rims
coilovers
top strut braces
black halo headlights
black marker lights
black alteza tail lights
aero dynamic body kit (in progress)

the motor runs a little lean and some times hesitates on take off. it also feels to have verry little power. I have looked into doing a swap but I am having problems finding a suitable engine to use. any suggestions would be greatly apprecieated because I know that some of you gus know what you are doing, unlike me.

Attachments

• 08-12-08_1917.jpg
    08-12-08_1917.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 541
  • 08-16-08_1216.jpg
    08-16-08_1216.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 404
  • 08-16-08_1218.jpg
    08-16-08_1218.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 421
  • 08-16-08_1219.jpg
    08-16-08_1219.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 498
  • 08-16-08_1220.jpg
    08-16-08_1220.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 428
  • IM001095.JPG
    IM001095.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 454
  • IM001096.JPG
    IM001096.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 491
  • IM001097.JPG
    IM001097.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 1,216
  • IM001110.JPG
    IM001110.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 383
  • IM001111.JPG
    IM001111.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 515
  • IM001112.JPG
    IM001112.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:
Those were designed to be fuel savers. If your looking for power and didn't want to spend too much, the Si motor that came in the EF Rex's and Civics.

go with the d16a6 you can use your old tranny and flywheel and engine harness.
the a6 is the si motor and it is the easiest of swaps to do for your car to add a lil more power.
all mounts line up and will directly swap with no probs.
you can use your old exhaust and headder as well.

swap the si (1.6) head onto your block, thats wat i have in my hatch, the guy i bought it off of did it for me and said he read reviews of the same swap and people jumpin up to 138hp , thats at the flywheel, but thats still a big jump up from the 97hp i think is wat is on the motor you got.

you can swap the head on to the block but it all depends on the mileage on the motor he has now theres no sense puttin a dif head on a 200k motor he would be better off finding a a6 with low mileage and swapin in the motr

yeah you are not going to get much power with that engine. I have a 91 CRX hf and i have about the same mods. I dynoed it recently and only had 54 HP going to the wheels and about 72 ftlbs of torque. It was not made for power. but i also get above 50 mpg on the freeway.

you gota get that gas saver out of there if u wana make any power, the si would be a good switch not very spendy either.

yeah you are not going to get much power with that engine. I have a 91 CRX hf and i have about the same mods. I dynoed it recently and only had 54 HP going to the wheels and about 72 ftlbs of torque. It was not made for power. but i also get above 50 mpg on the freeway.

I think your numbers are backwards.

But back on topic, Get a complete swap, motor, trans, ecu, etc. You'll be amazed how good a d16a6 feels in an 88 hf. Go-cart!

I'd replace those 10mm wires with oem, you get more power with oem then aftermarket.

thas exactly what it feels like is an enclosed go cart
especially when you have no interior and just a cuple seats
def go with the a6 and get a polish job on the head

and that bumper is a lil out there with out the sideskirts and rear bumper and did you decide what your gunna do?

I put in a DOHC ZC in my 89 HF and I love it. It has a lot more low end torque to get you moving on that long first gear and once in second it moves like hell. Note also I'm running a chiped PM6 ECU with modified PM7 maps plus 2.25 pipes all the way back with magnaflow mufler and short intake. everything else is stock. The good thing I still make great gas millage!!!

thats what you gotta love about Hondas. Now I will never swap in another engine into my CRX because the D15B6 gets exellent gas mileage. I once got 56 mpg on a trip to seattle and back. no engine with power will get you that mileage.

And get rid of those fenders. Trade them for stock ones
I have the OEM Fenders for this car but I wanted a diff look.
and that bumper is a lil out there with out the sideskirts and rear bumper and did you decide what your gunna do?
I have the side skirts and rear bumper that goes with the front bumber but I just havn't been able to get them on yet.

My motor has over 300K miles on it so I guess a head swap would be a bad idea. I am in the process of buying the car that donated the tranny for this one for like 300 bucks I am just a little strapped for cash right now. The guy that has it is the guy I bought this crx from and he told me that the other motor has a lot more power so maybe it is a diff model then an hf But I know that it is not an SI because it does not have the sun roof.

well if its not hte si and its not the hf then its porbably the dx right? just go to a junk yard and find a motor the one that is in the dx is s the d15b2 its got a lil mor power but not much you can find an a6 for cheap damn near anywhere just go on ebay or craigslist or just google it and you should be able to find one it is the cheapest most effiecent way to get power plus all your b6 add ons will bolt up to it as well.
and get rid of those damn fenders its not an m3

well the car you are probably buying is a dx and it has the d15b2 which has a lil more power but not much. your best bet would be to go to a boneyard or if you have a pull apart around you and get an a6 motor for your car. its the most efficent way to get more power and you can bolt your old transmission and your other upgrades up to it as well
and get rid of those fenders its not an m3

I am putting an'95 sohc mini me motor in my '85 si and will have the si motor for sale with tranny and harness and ecu. Just a thought. Let me know if you are interested. I will need an overhaul, (ie rings and gaskets) but it would be cheap.

Back