90 EF Sedan needs help.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

2thekidd3

OK. So first off the car is a 1990 Honda civic dx. with a 1.5 not sure if its d16 or 15 as the patch is dirty. Im new to cars in general but ima fast learner and im trying to find out some stuff. Im a noob yes i know and im sorry. My car is bone stock. it has an auto tranny that just went out, i want to switch to an 5 speed.. I have heard you cannot do a d to b eries conversion kit. . Is this true.? Idk what engines i have a choice on... I want a k eries. but i realize my budget. i want a engine with vtec and dohc for under 1500. New or used dont mind. Im a little clueless as to what to do. I would like for someone who know the answers to answer them..

1. What do i need for a conversion from auto to manual.?
2. What engine swap should i go with.?
3. What would i need for that swap.?
4. I want to make my car stance nice with out giving up performance. Any offets or rims or lowering ideas.?

I know im a noob at this but please be gentle with me . Thanks.

D15B2 if you're in the US.

D to B, no problem.

K = $$$

Cheapest DOHC VTEC is going to be B16A for you, and for $1500 you'll have to find one hell of an engine deal and do all the labor yourself.

1. normal engine swap stuff plus all the manual gear- pedals, clutch system etc.
2. your budget, honestly- D15B 3-stage VTEC or D16Z6/D16Y8
3. hit the reference section
4. depends on what you mean by "giving up performance."

Welcome to the site. Read up in the reference section.

K-series is for sure not happening for $1,500. Honestly, you'll be hard-pressed to get a decent dual-cam B-series in there AND convert it to manual for under $1,500...

convert your existing engine to manual. you should be able to buy all the parts to convert it including the trans for a few hundred, scouring both craigslist ebay and the local junkyards... the save up some more cheddar to do a better engine/trans swap in the future to include suspension, rims, and whatever else you plan on doing...

just take into consideration, this earlier model will nedd the dash removed, and a decent sized hole drilled into the firewall to mount and route the new pedal assembly/clutch cable... not as easy as the later modeled civic/integra, which had a separate clutch pedal that can be added via a pre drilled hole... and the trans mount might be a different height, so either you drill out the spot welds and and weld on a manual trans mounting bracket, or get creative with some longer bolts and washers... everything else should be a bolt on affair.. good luck!!!

Back