90 hatch with b18a swap lack of power till 4000 rpm

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

4gH22

i jus bought this 90 hatch with a b18a swap. car was running fine untill this morning. its puttering and chugging till 4000rpm. idles at like 450-1000. it wont die out but when i start moving i have to peddle the throttle to get it to 4000 then i can jus drive it normal. idea's please! i am not a newbi to the honda scene. i have a 91 si with b18a turbo swap, it runs flawlessly also

could be anything really...

bad tming (jumped teeth)
clogged fuel filter/pump/line
bad spark plug
got water in something
bad ground

what CHANGED from yesterday? weather? anything?

i bought the car with new fuel pump, plugs, plug wires, fuel regulator, timing belt and cam gears. nothing has changed from yesterday till today. the check engine did come on today but went off when i shut the car off and started it back up. i check the tps because i noticed it had been tampered with. i got 4.5v to the yellow wire and .3 at closed and 4.3 at open on the red/blue wire. i tried playing with the timing and when i advanced it 5 degrees it got a lil better response but still bogging and sputtering till 4000. it almost smells like its running really rich?

did you get gas last night?

try pulling the code anyway, it might still be in there.

i didnt get gas last night and i jus tried pulling the code and nothing happened. its running obd0 so when i go to work tomorrow i can look down at the ecu when the light comes on and count the blinks. its almost like the car is running in limp home mode until 4000 rpm

i jus turned the key to the on position and the ecu red light blinked once but hasnt blinked again jus once when i turn the car on and off

i had a similar problem with my car but was not quite that bad. but my problem was the coil in the distributor. when i took off it sputters quite a bit. i changed it and it all wend away.

no cat, i checked tension on timing belt before i got it and timing on the cams. it still has same tension and cams still line up. i can check the whole timing set up tomorrow

Sounds like your ignition timing is out. If you have acess to a timing light use that to set the mark on the crank pulley to the mark (i believe the 10 mark) on the timing cover with the engine running by turning the distributor

okay so the motor is perfectly in time. we found out the car is running off of 1 cylinder!!!!!! yes 1 cylinder no bs. pulled dizzy off and tested it and everything tested ok

Back