90 Integra Swap B16

is swapping a b16 into a 90 integra worth it?

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaRaCeR

im planning on buying a 1990 integra and putting a b16 into it. Then im thinking about getting a turbo is it all worth it?????

The B16 doesn't have nearly enough Torque to pull your 2600 lb + driver chassis around. Boost the LS engine, build an LSVTEC, or swap a B18C. Just about anything is a better option.

Why not boost the LS then? You can get those numbers for a whole lot less (because you don't need to buy the swap) with your current engine. Put the money you would have thrown into the B16 into a tough bottom end.

What the hell is everyone's problem with putting a B16a into a 90 integra. They usually run 15.00-15.3 with just the swap, bolt ons will take you into the 14s (especially if you upgrade the flywheel and the clutch). So you lose 9 lb. ft. of torque but, you gain 30 hp!!! It is faster than a B18A. The B16 also has a near perfect r/s ratio of 1.745 (perfect is 1.75). Which is why it doesn't come with a block girdle because it doesn't need one. B18Cs need one and LS/VTECs really need one. The r/s ratio is the big problem with the LS/VTEC. If you want a motor that will last and you can turbo it and possibly use a small shot of NOS get a B16a. Want some more displacement? Get a B17 crank and rods and you will have a 1.7 litre and still have a great r/s ratio.

Go ahead and do a LS/VTEC if you want a motor that won't last unless you put a shitload of money into it. You could put that money into a B16 with a turbo. Will cost as much as a type r motor if you get the B16a swap and get the rev hard turbo kit from www.afterhourzracing.com . I called up rev hard and they said with that combo they have seen 243-248 at the wheels and the bottom end is good till 300hp. The B18a with that kit will dyno out at 205-210 any higher and you will need some tougher internals.

Torque is overrated. Sure, you can feel torque but, you can feel good when that VTEC kicks in and you smoke some fool that still has a B18a in his Integra. You wanna get something to make up for the torque? Get the optional LSD.

So what if it is 2600lbs. The 1999-00 Civic Si weighs the same. Do you ever see those people getting rid of their B16s for B18Cs? I usually see Civic Sis with turbo B16s own drag races when everybody meets up late at night, until some mullet wearing muscle car owner pulls out of the 5th gas station he had to stop at on the way from his house and smokes the fastest turbo Si and then goes to the gas station again before his car runs out of fuel.

I have seen my friends 94 LS integra (fastest year for the LS) with a 5speed run a 99 Civic Si, both cars were stock. The LS jumped by a nose off the line then you here that VTEC sing and the Si puts like 5 or 6 cars on the LS by the end of the 1/4. My friend with the LS was really cocky too, it was great to see him get owned.

Originally posted by 90DAFOSHIZZLE@Jul 21 2003, 12:16 AM
What the hell is everyone's problem with putting a B16a into a 90 integra. They usually run 15.00-15.3 with just the swap, bolt ons will take you into the 14s (especially if you upgrade the flywheel and the clutch). So you lose 9 lb. ft. of torque but, you gain 30 hp!!! It is faster than a B18A. The B16 also has a near perfect r/s ratio of 1.745 (perfect is 1.75). Which is why it doesn't come with a block girdle because it doesn't need one. B18Cs need one and LS/VTECs really need one. The r/s ratio is the big problem with the LS/VTEC. If you want a motor that will last and you can turbo it and possibly use a small shot of NOS get a B16a. Want some more displacement? Get a B17 crank and rods and you will have a 1.7 litre and still have a great r/s ratio.

Go ahead and do a LS/VTEC if you want a motor that won't last unless you put a shitload of money into it. You could put that money into a B16 with a turbo. Will cost as much as a type r motor if you get the B16a swap and get the rev hard turbo kit from www.afterhourzracing.com . I called up rev hard and they said with that combo they have seen 243-248 at the wheels and the bottom end is good till 300hp. The B18a with that kit will dyno out at 205-210 any higher and you will need some tougher internals.

Torque is overrated. Sure, you can feel torque but, you can feel good when that VTEC kicks in and you smoke some fool that still has a B18a in his Integra. You wanna get something to make up for the torque? Get the optional LSD.

So what if it is 2600lbs. The 1999-00 Civic Si weighs the same. Do you ever see those people getting rid of their B16s for B18Cs? I usually see Civic Sis with turbo B16s own drag races when everybody meets up late at night, until some mullet wearing muscle car owner pulls out of the 5th gas station he had to stop at on the way from his house and smokes the fastest turbo Si and then goes to the gas station again before his car runs out of fuel.

I have seen my friends 94 LS integra (fastest year for the LS) with a 5speed run a 99 Civic Si, both cars were stock. The LS jumped by a nose off the line then you here that VTEC sing and the Si puts like 5 or 6 cars on the LS by the end of the 1/4. My friend with the LS was really cocky too, it was great to see him get owned.

shut up. its hella not worth it. The car is too heavy for the motor to do any good. with my regular LS, i would take Si's all day long left and right. I'm not saying Si's are shit, it all depends on how you build them. IMO, just stick with your LS or buy a B18C1, make it worth your money.

Originally posted by 90DAFOSHIZZLE@Jul 21 2003, 12:16 AM
What the hell is everyone's problem with putting a B16a into a 90 integra.

It is faster than a B18A. The B16 also has a near perfect r/s ratio of 1.745 (perfect is 1.75). Which is why it doesn't come with a block girdle because it doesn't need one. B18Cs need one and LS/VTECs really need one. The r/s ratio is the big problem with the LS/VTEC.

Go ahead and do a LS/VTEC if you want a motor that won't last unless you put a shitload of money into it.

The B18a with that kit will dyno out at 205-210 any higher and you will need some tougher internals.

Damn, you're completely full of bullshit and misinformation...

Stock B16a's are weak. I'll be the first to admit that. They LOVE nitrous, boost, and REV's over all.

Drop in a b16a, build up the head and valvetrain, and yes, a b16a will own an LS all day every day just from better flow. Turbo the LS, and the b16a/LS wars are over. They both perform flawlessly.

I personally see NO reason to pull a running LS to put in a b16a. They are just about a "driver's advantage" away from each other when installed in similar cars.

Don't say I am full of bullshit. Do any of you have any experience to back up what the fuck you are saying? I sure as hell do. The car isn't too heavy. Hell, it came with that engine in Japan.

But only for 2-3 years until they realized that 1.6 liters was too damned small to pull a 2600 lbs chassis around.

How about you enlighten us with you "experiences". Specifically on:
It is faster than a B18A. The B16 also has a near perfect r/s ratio of 1.745 (perfect is 1.75). Which is why it doesn't come with a block girdle because it doesn't need one. B18Cs need one and LS/VTECs really need one. The r/s ratio is the big problem with the LS/VTEC.

But before you do that you might want to make sure that you aren't just reguritating that BS article that has been circulating. Read this to make sure: https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?...showtopic=14965

Go ahead and do a LS/VTEC if you want a motor that won't last unless you put a shitload of money into it.

Prove it. I have built several that have lasted fine with only Honda parts in the bottom end. How many LSVTEC's that you have built blew up simply because the LS bottom end is "junk" (make sure that you do not count any instances of ruching or skimping on the build in that count)?

Try that again.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Jul 21 2003, 02:40 PM
But only for 2-3 years until they realized that 1.6 liters was too damned small to pull a 2600 lbs chassis around.

How about you enlighten us with you "experiences". Specifically on:

But before you do that you might want to make sure that you aren't just reguritating that BS article that has been circulating. Read this to make sure: https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?...showtopic=14965

Prove it. I have built several that have lasted fine with only Honda parts in the bottom end. How many LSVTEC's that you have built blew up simply because the LS bottom end is "junk" (make sure that you do not count any instances of ruching or skimping on the build in that count)?

Try that again.

How in the hell am I suppose to prove basic engineering. It just is, so cry about it. NO, I have never built a LS/VTEC but, why in the hell do so many people say that it won't last??? People that don't build it right? Maybe so, but you also said to put money into a strong bottom end instead of buying a B16 swap. You ass clown.

You prove something. Give me a timeslip of a LS/VTEC (specifically yours). Have you had any that can last as long as a stock motor that gets driven hard as hell everyday, with normal routine maintenance?

I only stated my opinion in the first place. Don't know why some of you pissed yourselves when I gave my opinion. If you want this to turn into a pissing contest, some of you are probably where a lot of "Internet Hype" comes from.

Put a stock B18a with a turbo kit on it (lets say rev hard or DRAG) and put it up against a stock B16 in the same car, lets see who wins. Put the turbo B16 up against a LS/VTEC or a Type-R motor in the same car as well. Do you mean to tell me that a turbo B16 would lose because it has less displacement?

The replacements for displacement are turbos and/or RPMs. :worthy:

not to shit on your parade but

if i had a ls motor i'd build a lsvtec because of its low end torque gives me more drivability, of course it'll cost a little more than a b16 but who's just gonna swap an engine and be done with it? money will be spent on the swapped b16a as well.

i'm not hating on b16's, I drive a b16 HB and I love it.

replacements for displacement are turbo and RPM's, what's gonna happen when the big blocks get turbos or is built to withstand higher rpms? Same build, displacement owns.

displacement's replacement = rotary + turbo :D, they can't get rotors in their piston engines lol.

Originally posted by word@Jul 21 2003, 09:49 PM
not to shit on your parade but

if i had a ls motor i'd build a lsvtec because of its low end torque gives me more drivability, of course it'll cost a little more than a b16 but who's just gonna swap an engine and be done with it? money will be spent on the swapped b16a as well.

i'm not hating on b16's, I drive a b16 HB and I love it.

replacements for displacement are turbo and RPM's, what's gonna happen when the big blocks get turbos or is built to withstand higher rpms? Same build, displacement owns.

displacement's replacement = rotary + turbo :D, they can't get rotors in their piston engines lol.

Finally, someone who is not being bias.

I see what you mean about the big blocks that get turbos and are made to withstand higher RPMs but, those big blocks with that kind of work usually are unbearable to drive. Our imports are so light that torque isn't really an issue (at least compared to a heavy ass muscle car).

Displacment does own when you combine turbo and RPMs but, with the options of Honda engines one of the only ways to get anything out of this combo. is a turbo CRVTEC or a turbo H22 (have fun putting that in a 90 teg).

The only thing that I see wrong with LS/VTEC is for the trouble of building one to get high RPMs and low end torque and the sake of reliability you might as well do a H22 swap.

fuck off 90DA, ok, u have made 4 posts and u think u are the smartest man alive. #1, B16a SUX BALLS IN A TEG. #2 15.3's ARE NOTHING TO BE PROUD OF AFTER SPENDING 2500-3000 ON ENGINE SWAP EVEN BEFORE BOLT ONS. #4 A TURBO LS WILL 90 times outs 100 BEAT A B16A TURBO IN AN INTEGRA EVEN IF BOTH ARE FULLY GUTTED. #5 R/S IS WORTHLESS!!!! IT MAKES ABOUT 0000 DIFFERENCE IN THE LONG RUN, U TELL ME IF U NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE. #6 PEOPLE THAT BLOW UP LS/VTEC'S ARE PEOPLE THAT DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING, ALL U GOTTA DO IS SLEEVE THE CYLINDERS AND UR FINE! AND IF U DONT KNOW THAT MUCH THAT I HOPE UR ENGINE BLOWS UP. u got me so mad i wrote in caps .... thats like .... 1 Internet law i broke, So stop posting acting like u know stuff please!. PS, DONT GET A b16a IN AN INTEGRA U WILL BE SADLY DISSAPOINTED!, TURBO LS OR TURBO b20 OR TURBO GSR only way to go!

It's not the ONLY way to go, but they are fun.

Seriously, a turbo b16a will pull a Teggy around like nobody's business.

Many people will swear that a turbo b16a being able to rev to kingdom come is a much better feeling than a turbo LS with low end grunt, but the fun ends early having to shift before 8k rpm on the LS.

It's a moot point, guys. Just do what you feel like. I'm closing this topic. Way too heated.

DO NOT open another topic on this discussion, or I will suggest more fierce administration than closing a topic.

Be warned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back